USB DAC of Oppo 205

In a secondary setup I've been using USB from an ultraRendu through an Ayre QB-9 DSD to an Ayre A7e integrated. But the right channel of the A7e seems to be out.  A possible substitute would be ultraRendu USB to Oppo 205 DAC with HDMI to a NAD M-22 amp.  The speakers are a pair of KEF LS50s.  Would I take a big sonic hit, i.e., how good is the Oppo DAC?  One advantage of the proposed setup is that it would accommodate a pair of Velodyne HGS-10s to supplement the LS50s.  I have a spare SMS-1 for acoustic room correction. 
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
.wav music files at 16 bit/44.1 Khz (standard redbook quality) are the best for practical use IMO. 

The next time you're ripping CDs, use NCH Express Rip. This is bit-pefect and free of degredation like Windows Media Player - which is trash.

You can verfiy the quality of files using different CD burning softwares by using EAC (exact audio copy), another useful program.

With regards to DSD, we seem to get more "air" in the midrange frequencies so things appear to be more spaced out. There are theorists who state "real DSD" doesn't exist, but they are lying...

Paul McGowan of PS audio works with DSD. At the end of the day, find what you like and allow it to take up your time...
mastering92 must have intended to respond to a different post.  Re OP, I'm using the Oppo 205 as a Roon endpoint via ethernet.  The ultraRendu and LPS 1.2 are no longer used. 

dbphd,

Were you planning to get the NAD possibly  to support subwoofer integration or for a surround system?  Because for stereo, it seems  you are one repair away from being back in good shape.

I have the Ayre QB-9 DSD and Ayre AX-7E as components in my secondary system as well.  So you are already experienced with the synergy and SQ with this pairing. It must also be great with your KEF LS 50's.  (I'm feeding a set of Triangle Comete's).  I'll spare you a long litany of reasons why IMO a NAD M-22 will not come close to what you were hearing from the AX-7E, and end up costing more.  

But I highly recommend that you give a phone call to Ayre Acoustics for two reasons: a) to discuss repair options, and b) to let them explain the very straightforward solutions for running subs along with the AX-7E.

As an aside, Ayre customer service is first rate, and they provide repair  support  for all of their components, no matter how old.

So,  2nd system setup might be:  Oppo 205 streaming/CD, etc.  out to Ayre QB-9 via asynchronous USB. ( A/B test Oppo DAC against QB-9). Then, fully balanced discrete XLR connectors to AX-7E with feeds to Velodynes and Kef's?

My current solution for 2nd setup is USB from Mac Mini to Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC then balanced analog through a Parasound JC 2 to a pair of JC 1 monoblocks that drive KEF LS50s augmented by a pair of KEF KC62 subs.  Using an Oppo 205 for discs, but plan to try my Ayre C-5xeMP, but it may need service.

When I acquired an Ayre KX-5 and VX-5 Twentys I kept the KX-5xeMP.  I'm looking for an Ayre V-3 amp to use with it as an alternative to Parasound.

There's nothing quite like preaching to the choir, right?  You also seem to have everything you need to evaluate the Oppo DAC performance in your system.   

Maybe worth mentioning the (long?) pending release of Ayre CX-8 as interesting comparison with your C-5XE MP.

Changed current 2nd setup today.  It's still Mini USB to Ayre DAC, but Ayre DAC to Ayre KX-5xeMP to JC 1s.  Disc player is Ayre C-5xeMP.  Not sure if there will be role for the Oppo 205.