USB DAC of Oppo 205

In a secondary setup I've been using USB from an ultraRendu through an Ayre QB-9 DSD to an Ayre A7e integrated. But the right channel of the A7e seems to be out.  A possible substitute would be ultraRendu USB to Oppo 205 DAC with HDMI to a NAD M-22 amp.  The speakers are a pair of KEF LS50s.  Would I take a big sonic hit, i.e., how good is the Oppo DAC?  One advantage of the proposed setup is that it would accommodate a pair of Velodyne HGS-10s to supplement the LS50s.  I have a spare SMS-1 for acoustic room correction. 
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd

Showing 3 responses by dbphd

My current solution for 2nd setup is USB from Mac Mini to Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC then balanced analog through a Parasound JC 2 to a pair of JC 1 monoblocks that drive KEF LS50s augmented by a pair of KEF KC62 subs.  Using an Oppo 205 for discs, but plan to try my Ayre C-5xeMP, but it may need service.

When I acquired an Ayre KX-5 and VX-5 Twentys I kept the KX-5xeMP.  I'm looking for an Ayre V-3 amp to use with it as an alternative to Parasound.

Changed current 2nd setup today.  It's still Mini USB to Ayre DAC, but Ayre DAC to Ayre KX-5xeMP to JC 1s.  Disc player is Ayre C-5xeMP.  Not sure if there will be role for the Oppo 205.

mastering92 must have intended to respond to a different post.  Re OP, I'm using the Oppo 205 as a Roon endpoint via ethernet.  The ultraRendu and LPS 1.2 are no longer used.