UPS strikes again

Just to issue a warning to anyone shipping UPS this Christmas season. I had a piece of audio gear (an integrated amp)that I thought I would ship UPS to my Dad in Ohio to help build him a little system while I was visiting for the hollidays. I took the package to UPS in Austin TX and paid $27.00 dollars ABOVE the normal shipping to have it sent (they said garunteed) in two days. Well, what do you know it snowed in Ohio, and to make a long story short I am visiting my Dad with no amp.

Having called UPS they still can't say when the package will be delivered, and they WILL NOT refund any shipping charges. I can understand there are things outside of everyones control happening here, and I know that in the grand sceme of things this is a small problem. My gripe is that I paid for sevices that were not rendered....... I am willing to pay the regular UPS shipping, but it seems like they should be reembursing people who paid for special service that wasn't fulfilled.

Although no small print was offered at the time of purchase, I guess I should of known.

Merry Christmas (Really)

Chris
cmo
I had a similar experience with Fed Ex. There are basically certain circumstances where they find they have to suspend their guarenteed delivery times - typically due to severe weather. I don't remember whether I asked for a partial refund or recieved one or not. I know that I was surprised at how casual their attitude seemed to be, but that's probably because they are used to this as normal operating procedure during difficult times. I was quite surprised though.
Everytime I call UPS because of a delay they say a train broke down, no matter where it's coming from or going to, despite the time of year or weather conditions. Isn't it funny how my delivery via FedEx from the midwest is right on time during this same storm. How could that be? And one FedEx delivery even arrived a day early!! I don't use UPS anymore unless there is no other choice available.
Call UPS customer service and ask them to send you a copy of their shipping rules and regs. You will be surprised how thick this book is. Acts of god/nature, natural disasters, etc void the delivery guarantee. I once paid over $300 to Fedex overnight a package to Hawaii on a Thursday to have it there Friday. Turns out Fedex doesn't do guaranteed overnight from the mainland to the islands. I should have sent it Two day and saved myself about $180. Learned the hard way on that one.
Hi Guy's (and Gal's)

As I stated; my problems are small time compared to the things others are experiencing around the world. It's a small gripe that I will not loose sleep over, but there is some disappointment (and maybe my fellow Agoner's would like to know that UPS isn't what it's cracked up to be).

The point I was trying to make is that I am fully prepared to pay for the regular shipping charges, things happen........ I just feel like they should be a bit more forthcoming with the extra $27.00 I paid that was to "garauntee" delivery........ It just kind of feels wrong on thier part to say "Oh well, Sorry but tough luck".

Chris