Upgrade to the Sennheiser HD 650 for $500?

I've had the Sennheiser HD 650 for 10 years now. Back then the MSRP was $499 iirc. It has served me well and still performs well as my do-it-all set.

But several years ago I had the chance to A/B it with the $1399 HD 800 and I was blown away.

10 years on, considering the HD 650 is now available as the HD 6XX $199 and the advent of Chi-Fi, is there a set of headphones for ~$500 that can be considered a significant upgrade to the HD 650? Preferably something with improved technicality like the HD 800 as far as sound signature (if not sound quality)? Maybe something with planar magnetic or electrostatic?

*Source/amp will be upgraded accordingly.

koffi88

I've had the Sennheiser HD 650 for 10 years now. Back then the MSRP was $499 iirc. It has served me well and still performs well as my do-it-all set.

But several years ago I had the chance to A/B it with the $1399 HD 800 and I was blown away https://9apps.ooo/ .

10 years on, considering the HD 650 is now available as the HD 6XX $199 and the advent of Chi-Fi, is there a set of headphones for ~$500 that can be considered a significant upgrade to the HD 650? Preferably something with improved technicality like the HD 800 as far as sound signature (if not sound quality)? Maybe something with planar magnetic or electrostatic?

*Source/amp will be upgraded accordingly.

i got this...

There are many options. Every set of headphones has its own sound signature. Personally, I would put more credence in reviews that provide listening impressions and subjective comparisons than measurements, but that's just me.