[UPGRADE] Sure T2024 amp (need more powaa!!)

Hello, 

I'm in the market for a more powerful amp. I'm the one who previously bought a custom tube amplifier from a shady artisan. Well, the tube amplifier still hums loudly and I returned it without refund. I got played like a fiddle. Life happens. In the meantime I'm using this 10W Sure T2024 amp (class D). It sounds great. I just want more power to listen to quieter mixes. 

Here's my current setup:

- Sure T2024 10W 8ohm amplifier

- Bluesound Node (DAC/Streamer)

- Rel T5X subwoofer

- Closer Acoustics OGY 91db 15W 8ohm

I emailed an online retailer in Europe and they suggested the SMSL DA-9. Seems good. It has a bunch of features I don't need like the balanced inputs and Bluetooth. I just plug everything into the Bluesound Node, so I just need 1 RCA input in the back of the amp. That said, the SMSL DA-9 has rave reviews and more Watts compared to other Infineon MA12070 amps. I have a bunch of questions:

- What's the point of having 2 MA12070 chips in one amp? Is it just the power and balanced input? Is 1 MA12070 good enough? And less prone to noise? Will the cheaper Sabaj A10A suffice? 

- Does the Aiyima A07 sound better/worse? Is the noise floor on the SMSL DA-9 lower? I only worry about noise floor now, since the tube amp was so bad. But my speakers show a very small noise floor when you put your ear close to the drivers with the Sure amp. 

- Should I just spend 300€ on a Cambridge Audio AXA25? Is the SMSL DA-9 better? 

I'm sure this is a question for ASR. But I'm permanently banned from their forums haha. 

Perhaps I'm rambling. Ultimately, my question is:

- What amp would you buy under 300€? 

128x128kokakolia

Cambridge AXA25! A long-established company with a reputation of building quality audio gear!

Ok, I will add that the Closer Acoustics OGY are pretty analytical and on the brighter side. 

I watched iiWi Reviews on Youtube. He seems to say that the SMSL DA-9 is analytical/not suited for bright speakers. And he says that the Sabaj A10a is meatier. They both use the Infineon MA12070 chip. I am confused. 

The Cambridge AXA25 seems to be a good fit. A British Audiophile reviewed the AXA35 with high praise. The build quality rivals Atoll for a fraction of the price. 

Post removed 

Quick update: 

The folks from r/budgetaudiophile helped me out a bunch. They stated a few things: 

- The differences between the Ayima A07 and SMSL amps with Infineon MA12070 amps are only slight. So I'm wondering if I'll notice a difference switching from my Tripath amp. 

- Shoot for 70s and 80s amps in the vintage market. No need to spend over 100€. These amps should be well-built and over-engineered. 

- I skimmed through my local classfields and found a bunch of really old vintage Marantz, Pioneer, Akai... amps for 100~600€. Most of the sellers live pretty far away. I'm kinda put off. 

- I let the algorithm work in the background and I stumble upon lesser-known, lesser-priced brands like Dual and Continental Edison. 

- I eventually purchase a Continental Edison PA 9109 (20W @ 8 ohm) for 40€ from an old guy who lives 2km away. He was also selling a bunch of NOS amplifier tubes from the 60s/70s for a few euros. But I'm no expert and I don't know where to resell those. 

- The exterior of the unit is cheap and tinny. The bottom of the unit is fiber board. But peaking inside you can see the oversized components neatly layed out in a minimal layout. Regret kinda settles in. 

- I hook the amp up and wow! It slaps. I don't even want to use a sub. The noise floor is slightly higher than the Tripath amp but still negligeable. Comparitively, the Tripath amp feels... grey. And so did my Yamaha RN402 amp from memory. Perhaps the Tripath would have sounded more exciting if I could increase the volume more. I haven't tried the Aiyima A07 yet so I can't comment more on that point. 

Conclusion: Vintage Continental Edison amps are criminally underrated. Buy them while they're cheap. Pair them with decently resolving speakers and you'll be tapping your toes.