Tube problems 6922

Hi: I am finding a problem with many 6dj8/6922 tubes that no one seems able to explain. When testing with a dynamic mutual conductance tester (B&K 747b) I am finding about half of the tube's readings won't fix at a reading but will drift up and down continuously. My meter tests all other tubes types fine and half the 6dj8/6922 test ok. Further the meter has just had new caps and calibration. When using these defective tubes I hear artifacts in the music(drop outs, channel imbalance, static). Please email or answer here if you can explain what is happening within the tube to cause drift.
Thanks
Otis
otis

Showing 2 responses by sndsel

I might guess a thermal effect - perhaps either:

Control grid position or geometry changes, thus altering plate current, or

Connection problem with the filament, causing it to separate when hot but reconnect quickly as it cools, thus varying emission.

Perhaps you could watch the filament carefully to see if there is any visible brightness variation.

You didn't say if variation was fast or slow, but I am presuming slow. Interesting that so many should have that characteristic, though.
Additional thought is "gassy" tubes, although I can't guarantee that would cause regular variations. While monitoring the filaments in reduced ambient light, also note if there is any visible ionization in the bad tubes compared to the good, just for kicks.