Tube Preamp - What to buy?

Looking to take my first venture into the tube world and going with a tube preamp.  My budget is up to $2500 and willing to buy used or new however realize with my budget that used is probably a better path. I would like to have a built-in MM phone stage.  I am use to having a remote and tone controls, so that would be nice however not a necessity.  

For further information my speakers are Revel Performa3 F206 and the current amp(s) is Conrad Johnson SA-250 and I also have a Rotel RB1552.  I many be looking for an amp upgrade in the future, but one thing at a time. 

So far I have been looking at used Audio Research and Conrad Johnson preamps but very open to opinions on brand and model.  Thanks and I look forward to your opinions and experiences.  
speter04
I'm surprised Schiit gets no props in this conversation...A tubester Freya +, Loki (tone control if you want) and a Mani phono preamp all new and warrantied for about half the OP's number. I'm a Freya/Loki user and both are superb sounding high end gems...plus if you don't like 'em, send 'em back.
Hello SPeter, I used several tube preamplifiers and have finally settled down with Atma Sphere brand, which is made in USA. I live in Paris. Here in Europe we have many higly regarded manufacturers specialized in tube gear like Jadis, Ear Yoshino, Audio Note, Quad etc. I ended up my search of ideal amplification (tube pre+amp) with an american product, simply because Atma Sphere products are very particular and personaly I enjoy them the most. I'm saying this after testing or owning many highly regarded products (I've been an audiophile since 1995). In your budget on S/H market my first choice would be Atma Sphere MP-3, and my second choice would be Ear Yoshino 868. You may need a couple of $$$ more to acquire them, but this will be also your last preamplifier. Do not go for young brands, stuff made in china, and other products "à la mode". Mastering of tube technology needs a longtime experience & dedicated hand-made hard work. So, only a couple of brands still have time and well-trained people to do it correctly.
A word of caution when buying Conrad Johnson do your homework they sound wonderful but they run There tubes hard therefore you’ll be going through tubes and it has a tendency to get noisy I am a previous owner of the Classic 120 SE Amp and ET7 Pre I discussed this with Conrad Johnson and they were on able to rectify the situation!
Best of luck
You might want to consider a new Rogue RP1 or maybe you can find a used RP5.  Also might be able to find a used Modwright.  In my opinion both companies are US based, offer great value and great customer support.  They are also stand alone companies offering newer design, components and resale.  Both great businesses to work with if needed.