Tube or solid state phono stage?

I have a high end all tube system (AR 750 SEL amps, AR Ref 6 preamp, SF Aida speakers) and am now adding a turntable with a Benz cartridge.. Should I stick with buying a tube phono stage or go with solid state? I’d like to keep my system all tube but I’m worried a tube phono stage may make the vinyl too warm sounding and not dynamic enough.

thanks in advance for any help!

stewartgr

It really depends on the specific example of each, as opposed to a broad generalization. There are excellent examples of both technologies, so I’m confident you can find examples of either that will play well with the rest of your system.

I went with a solid state Hagerman Bugle based on cost/curiosity, and was pleasantly surprised...especially after making some mods.   However, Hagerman's upper line is tube, which I'm ultimately interested in. (Cornet MM/ Trumpet MC)

I agree with @knotscott, there are good (and not so good) examples of both topologies. Generally speaking, good SS phono stages can be had at moderate cost. If you want a quiet and dynamic tube phono stage, the cost of entry will go up. At least that's been my experience.

The ARC Ref Phono preamps are quiet and transparent - not tubey at all. Your Ref 6 will sound great with a Ref Phono 2 or 3.

As a very general observation:  if your tube system is in danger of lacking good dynamics, something is wrong.  At moderate to low volume levels, I expect tube gear to sound considerably more dynamic and alive than solid state.  As a more specific observation, your particular tube electronics is on the leaner side, not the warmer side, of tube electronics; for my taste, I would want a quite warm sounding phono stage in that setup.

I have heard, and liked phono stages from Lector (Italian, tube) and Audio Note (requires SUT for MC, very expensive), Allnic and Zanden.  I own the Italian Viva Fono myself.

You won't go wrong adding another AR piece to your system.  That would be the first place I'd look in your position.