Tube amps under $7500

Ready to experiment with combinations never before (or not recently) tried. Step one requires a tube amp. Now looking at Prima Luna EVO 400 which sells for 5K. Any other tube amps I should consider in this price/feature range? Must come in silver with balanced input. For pairing experimentally with various tube and SS preamps. Efficient 4 ohm Legacy speakers (and the room/setup) are the constants.

hickamore

What about an Audio Research REF 75SE….? That was my first foray into tube amps and it was a great place to start…! 

@jomonhifi If ARC Reference is where you START, where can you possibly END? One very notable and insightful contributor here has described his 40-year evolution through audiophilia which finally culminated with ARC Reference gear including DAC. Though I just noticed there is a REF 75SE listed on Agon at $5,650. 

Yes, Audio Research Ref75se.  I have been listening to mine (with an ARC Ref6 Preamp) for quite some time and with the right dac, speakers & cables, its been a couple years now that I have trouble listening to my system because the music keeps quickly distracting me - and sometimes keeps me up too late at night.  This system does require good source material though.  More than enough bass to satisfy me and for me my exactly the right balance of resolving technical detail and musicality.

@hickamore 

i am an ARC fan all the way. I started about 6 years ago with a pair of Classic 120 monoblocks. They replaced a pair of bridged Parasound HCA 2200ii. I also bought an HCA 3500 to try as well and sold all the Parasound amps. I later went to the REF 150 and then decided I wanted simple and got a GSi 75.  It was a fantastic integrated but was not enough for my Wilson Sophia. The bass would cut out at high volumes. I went back to separates and got a REF 75SE. Boy did the Sophias love that amp!  Never strained and so sweet sounding.  I highly encourage you to stick to the plan for a tube amp.  I tried some Wilson Alexia 1 last year and took the REF 75 SE with me to get the speakers.  The man had a brand new McIntosh 450wpc amp, forget the model #. We both like the REF 75 more and the output was the same!  I don’t know what it is about ARC wattage but with the REF 75’s power supply, you are set. The GSi 75 doesn’t have the same power supply and I would confirm with ARC about the VT80 SE before getting one.  The bias procedure on the REF 75s is super easy as you do it from the faceplate.  The 150s suck as you have to remove the cover and do on the board. REF 75s will always sell so as long as you get one at a fair price you have no worries.  Good luck!

@dhite71 

It may have been a MC462 Solid State Amplifier. I would think it is because it is solid state vs tubes. I am constantly surprised at how much solid state power you need to perform similarly to tube amps. I am also an ARC fan.