TRL ST225 - Goodness anyone else own this amp

I will soon be writing a review on this amp and wonder if any fellow Agoners own this gem. If so, please let us hear your comments on it. I am nothing short of amazed by it. I had to "downsize" and sold a tube monobloc amp and tubed preamp combo costing over $15,000 new. Both pieces were fine sounding and well regarded.

I ended up trading a set of speakers for a TRL ST225 integrated amp. I had never heard of this amp before and was not aware of Paul's work.

All I will say for now is this integrated amp bested my previous set-up and is the finest sound my speakers and room have provided.

I am a tube guy folks and this SS amp is still the finest amp I have ever heard. I put $5000 in the bank and have better sounding music. Now that is exciting!!!

They cost some $5500 new and mine was purchased/traded as used. It had just been updated by Paul and came direct to me once the upgrade was finished.

Happy in MN

Bill
128x128grannyring
Tom,

Check under Tube Research Labs. However, not much on the website. Best to give Paul or Brian Weitzel a call directly.
Bill,

What power cord are you using with the ST-225? If you're not already using one have Paul build you the Silver model he sells (for the CDP as well). It uses the same solid core copper wiring as in the amp. Great synergy and I use one on the D-225 and Pre-1.5. You won't believe the price to performance value.

In moving to Las Vegas recently the movers lost one of my boxes. Unfortunately in it were my pair of Silver model speaker cables Paul made for me. It's a tough loss to swallow, but at least the PCs made it.
Jes45

Understand and have had the pleasure of emailing others directly. I am ordering a modified Sony CD player from TRL as I am just floored by Brian & Paul's work.

Take care,

Bill
I can feel and understand your excitement. I've owned a TRL ST-225 since June or July of 2005 and have even added a pair of their 500 watt battery powered mono blocks, after hearing Howard's (Hchi) before they left TRL.

I even wrote a review back in August of 2005, if you look in the archives.

There are several of us who have had issues posting a reply in this thread, but if you e-mail me, I can send you contact info of other TRL ST-225 owners, who have stories just like ours.
When I say this int amp is better please understand I don't mean by some small margin. It has utterly transformed my music and my audio experience like no other piece of gear.

After "playing" with so many great amps I figured no system could ever really sound that much better - perhaps a little different or one aspect better here ......

No, the TRL ST225 broke through a plateau I thought was not possible or available in audio reproduction.

I wish more Audiogoners were reading this thread as many more people would be amazed and smiling like me.

I had Van The Man in my listening room last night as I listened to his live recording "A Night In San Fran" I was lost my friends - lost in the concert.

Fun!

Bill
woah... thanks bill. that helps a lot. i love my canary amps. awesome sound. very similar to the VAC, tho a bit more transparent and dynamic, maybe less warm, tho I'm warming them up w/ some NOS tubes. your list makes me want to audition TRL gear!
Dennis - the - menace - I love some of these usernames!

Here are some (just some of the best) of my past amp/preamp experiences at home.

preamps
________

Audio Horizons - My favorite of the bunch
Tom Evan Vibe
CJ LS 16 MK II
Thor TPA1000
Wavac - Forget the model #
Supratek Syrah
Supratek Cortese
Joule LA150

Amps
____

Canary CA339's - best of the group
Mcintosh 402
NuForce SE 9
JC1 monoblocks
Belles Reference 350A
Belles 350A monoblock amps
David Berning Z 270
Thor TPA30's @ 60's
Joule Vamp Integrated
George Wright 2a3 monos
Wavac SET amp 845 based - forget the model #
Monarchy SE250's
Several Blue Circle Hybrid amps
Butler Audio
Vac Musicbloc monos

Hope this helps.

Bill
I have had the D-225 (non-integrated version of the ST-225) in my system for over 2 years now. It was Brian Weitzel's amp which was upgraded to current specs about a year or so ago (for free I might add). I am now using this amp with the TRL Pre-1.5 battery powered preamp. The combination is really amazing.
Love stories like this. Reminds me of the Supratek thread, and after hearing the Syrah in my own system, I agreed with what was said there. Bill, can you give us some examples of other amps/preamps you've owned, just to give us some context?
Panheadscooty,

You will just not believe how good this amp is. Forget the word downsize as it will be the finest amp you have owned. Music will flow and you won't feel like it's missing that or could do this other thing better.

It takes a few weeks to fully burn in and sound its best.
Mine is always on now and it runs cool all the time.

I want to let all Agoners know how wonderful this amp is. I have been containing myself as much as possible over the last few weeks, but must now spill out just a little.

Here is the plain truth based on my experience as an audiophile over the last 22 years. Please keep in mind I have owned and heard more reference quality amps/preamps then I care to list right now. I can say with 100% honesty that no preamp/amp combo has come close to being as good as this integrated. For me it is the first perfect amp or component I have owned.

My speakers never sounded this good at low volume. They have never sounded this good at moderate volume. They have never sounded this good at 105 db listening levels. No, they have always sounded like speakers, but now they sound like music.

I stumbled apon it as part of a trade. I had no idea what it was except the person trading with me told me it was wonderful and he is/was trustworthy.

I thought I was down-grading and saving money. I saved big money and upgraded like I have never experienced before.

This is not the best amp within a certain price point. It is the best amp period that my ears have heard.

Yes, I am sounding like an audio nut or some over zealous case. I don't care because it is true Agoners.

Ok, I let it out and feel good!

I will post a full review very shortly.

Bill
With Paul and Frank here in the great North we are truly blessed.....I can't wait to hear his creations...cheers,Bob
I've given Paul a deposit on the ST225. I heard this amp at a friend s' house. I couldn't give Paul my money fast enough. The chassis's have been back ordered and so I wait.
I would like to hear more. What equipment are you using.
Thanks Kim
I am glad to hear that you discover this special gem. I have an opportunity to hear ST225 at a friend's in Philly driving a 3-way with a pair of 15" woofer. With Paul's expertise in design and manufacturing top tier tube gears, I think he manages to harness the 'tube' warmth and magic into a transistor design so that we can rip the benefits from both worlds coming in a SS box. I have been thoroughly enjoying my TRL mono's and have not being even tempted by any amp upgraditis as yet. I look forward to your review.

Howard