Toe in is crucial

I’m like the rest of us, obsessing about the smallest tweaks in power supplies, USB cables, cable risers, room acoustics, etc. But an underrated (or discussed) speaker tweak is toe in.

in my system (SF Amati, Mc components, Cardas, Weiss) adjusting speaker toe in by as little as ¼ inch has greater impact on SQ than many cable and other tweaks I’ve made at the tail end of refinement. The impact (and trade off) on sound stage, imaging, and treble presentation, by the smallest adjustments is profound.

I wasn’t quite satisfied with my system tonight—a little too forward; a narrower soundstage than I like. A ¼ inch toe in adjustment took me from hifi to the concert.

Not sure if others have experienced this, but thought I’d share.

w123ale

You’re absolutely correct. Proper speaker toe-in is absolutely critical. In my room, it took me forever and a day to finally get my speaker toe-on spot-on. It took a lot of time and patience, but once I got the speakers toe-in just right, I began to experience the kind of audio nirvana that I was seeking.

Proper toe-in is definitely one of the critical basics of speaker placement. I have the same speakers as you. Getting it right took me a long time… I was not in a hurry. Purchase of speakers… upgrading components and cables took a year until I finally got to fine tuning my speakers. I found a gradual change in the soundstage from having the beams crossed behind my head to no toe in. In my venue, no toe in gives the widest / deepest soundstage without loosing the central image, where the speakers disappear. I was surprised since the recommended toe in is to have them cross behind your head. Just shows you have to do your own place.

I have had speakers (electrostatic and ribbon) where 1/8th an inch made a big difference. In my room the Sonus Faber Amanti change their presentation gradually. 

This is what I use:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0863RK1KX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

By placing it on top of the speaker along the inside edge, I'm able to fine tune the hight as well as direction.  I'm sure ton's of people use these.

Toe in changes the speakers relationship to the room as well as the listener. These variables are not easy to account for. So, it is very much a trial and error undertaking. First it is important to deal with first reflection points on the side walls in particular. I always start with the speakers perfectly perpendicular to the radius aimed directly at the listening position then if the image is not well focused start gradually reducing toe in. @ghdprentice Because line sources radiate in a figure 8 fashion, they send no energy towards the side walls. They should always be aimed directly at the listening position for the best image. As you note, reducing toe in changes the sound in a much more dramatic fashion, usually for the worse. Any brightness should be handled electronically. On the bright side the side walls do not require absorption. Only the front wall behind the speaker needs absorption. SALLIEs are the best. You can see them on my system page. 

Everyone should try with less toe in as part of the adjustment.  I prefer a wider soundstage, with the central image still maintained.  I have listened to several systems with so much toe in, the soundstage is lost and the singer sounds like a point source.  Further, toe in R to L does not have to be the same - adjust it to your room.