To preamp or not to preamp. That is the question.

I have recently set up a second system from some previously owned components which I though I would use for occasional listening as I have a better rig in a dedicated music room. Yet I find I'm listening to it more than expected and want to optimize it.

I use only a single source, a Bluesound Node 2i, feeding directly into a Forte 4a Class A power amp and some Totem Model one signatures speakers. No preamp! Controlling the volume with the BlueOS app, the system plays loud enough for my listening needs but I know the output of the Node is on the low side for the power amp. I'm not looking to upgrade the current speakers, amp or streamer. Other than having more gain, would adding an active preamp bring anything to the table other than more expense and additional "stuff" in the audio chain. What has been the experience of other members been who have gone this route?

128x128alvinnir2

I have a Bluesound Node 2i. I haven't tried using it alone for volume control...yet.  Will have to try.  I originally bought NAD M51 as DAC only (about $550 used) but tried as preamp and struggle to find something significantly better.  New price I have only gotten up to about $6k with tube pres, but the main benefit has been better gain matching for my 24 WPC tube amp whereas NAD had plenty for SS. Maybe my speakers or my ears aren't good enough to tell the differences or the NAD is just very good. I definitely recommend it at its used price point. 

I've yet to experience the pre as the heart of the system though I've heard some say this. Maybe I need to spend $15k. The speakers and amp are the heart for my experiences,  but that's just from what I've been able to try in my rig. 

@holmz 

I don't do my critical listening on this second system. It's not in my bedroom but in my living room. My critical listening is with my primary system in a dedicated room in my basement. So it, as it stands, is "good enough" but I will happily entertain an improvement if cost effective.

@alvinnir2

I think for around 1000 USD you may get a second hand Threshold FET ten, which is probably still one of the most transparent preamp ever built.It will reveal any change in your equipment, and will be soon moved to your main system.

I had a similar question, a fee weeks ago, and comparing the direct DAC ouput with the usage of the pre, I had no doubts: to preamp, there is no question.

Any change on DAC volume lead to a degraded sound, while any change on preamp volume was completely transparent.

Usage of preamp let me to setup the DAC at his best (fixed max volume), and let the preamp manage volume.

My two cents: A few years ago I was using a Mytek Manhattan as a DAC .  Amplification was Parasound, the JC pre and power amps.  Had a problem with the pre and it took weeks to get it repaired so I tried using the Manhattan as the pre.  Mytek was marketing it as a pre/DAC combo.  The sound was harsh and fatiguing. After a few weeks I inserted my prior preamp, a Cary SLP3, a tubed preamp that cost around two grand at the time.  I fell in love with the Cary and now the Parasound remains in storage..

Especially considering that the Node is the current preamp in the discussion here, I think an active preamp, virtually any active preamp, will be an improvement.  I think the suggestion that only $15K will bring the desired result is silly.  First off, it’s a second system, and that kind of expenditure is probably not possible, and would be outsized compared with the rest of the components.

Since the OP is Canadian, I would be looking for a used Bryston preamp.  I am assuming that Bryston ownership is more prevalent in Canada, and therefore there may be more used Bryston equipment available than in the U.S.  Bryston makes great amplification and they have a 20 year warranty, which is transferable.  The alternative would be to go tubed, and Rouge Audio might fit the bill here