Thoughts on adding a McIntosh C12000 preamp to my AVM90 Home Theater Processor....

I currently use an Anthem AVM90 processor for my 2 channel music as well as my 5.1 Home Theater.  I know some people use a premium 2 channel preamps such as the beautiful McIntosh C1200 for 2 channel audio.  To be honest I'm very happy with the improvement in audio quality when I upgraded my home theater processor from an AVM60 to the AVM90, but I'm considering the C12000 route for music.  

Anyone have experience or thoughts on this - or is it just adding cost/complexity for minimal if any benefit?

Any advice appreciated!

128x128whitesarhara

Showing 3 responses by oddiofyl

My Dad just did something similar. He had an Anthem AV receiver and 5 Sonus Faber speakers.

Out of the blue he said " I always wanted a McIntosh" I said "Do it ! "

He picked up a new McIntosh MA8950. I set it up with the Passthrough that I am assuming the 12000 has like the 8950 and 9550. It is slick. You need to wire a trigger to the Mac from the Anthem trigger out. When you do and select the input you have the AVM left and right front connected to it turns on the Mac and puts it in bypass. You are only using it’s amp section. Then when you power off the AVM the Mac returns to its previous state or to its last input. Or off if you used bypass last. Its really slick and allows seamless integration of stereo and HT

He kept the center and surrounds but upgraded the mains to Sonus Faber Electa Amator III. It is a killer setup with hifi and video sources.

Night and day with movies using the Mac and new SF.    And now 2 channel performance is in another league 

Mcintosh' s implementation of Bypass and ARC for HDMI equipped models is excellent.    Sound from a TV into the Mac via eARC gives excellent stereo sound with the added bonus of your TV remote controlling the volume and power is also a slick way of listening to TV without surround