The Psychology of Constant (Equipment) Change

Anybody have an answer?

I have a decent selection of preamps, amps, integrateds and speakers to choose from and I find myself swapping out gear constantly.  And it's not because anything sounds bad.  Quite contrary, really.

After most swapping sessions, I'm generally really satisfied and quite enjoy the sound quality.  But within a few weeks I'm swapping stuff out again.

What would be the diagnosis for my condition?

128x128audiodwebe
Post removed 

Well said! And better than me ...

In my usual delirium 😉i coined the term "minimal acoustical satisfaction threshold" passed ... It is when we listen music in ectasy forgetting gear...

You don’t have a problem. You just like to hear how the sounds of recordings vary on different equipment. 

I prefer to figure it out once until all my recordings sound as great to my ears, and then sit back and listen. 

Afterthought, audiodwebe ...

I have great respect for you and others with your "condition."  You've afforded yourselves the luxury of multiple systems.  Kudos!  Having the means, three systems would seem probable here.  The slammin' horn rig with maybe superspeed new Class D amps and huge horn subs for rock.  For large classical and more big pinpoint stuff, maybe some tall stats or planars, big tubes and locked in subs.  For the smaller venues in an intimate space...I'm pretty content with cones, speedy beryllium tweets (love ya Jeff Bagby, rest in peace, brother) and a servo subwoofer.  Music lovers are terrific.  

As to over-analyzing, the task put to us was, indeed, a request for a diagnosis.

Onwards, Pin

i had known a dude whose thrill was collecting books not even to read selected one , only rare books, the item price was the ultimate criteria he never really read them from beginning to end ...

it was as you said :

Thrill of the chase.

I was interested by books all my life. Never for their price, rarity,or for a collection of them...

I read them that was my thrill ... Any subjects...

It resemble audiophilia nervosa when peoploe call you "poor and ignorant" because you learned how to rightfully install a system but this system is low price compared to most and you did not tried 40 amplifiers, 25 dac. 35 turnatables 50 speakers brand ... 😁

I learned basic acoustics that was my fun and my goal was listening music in ectasy ...

For me people who had not learned that it is listening experiments with the electrical,mechanical and acoustical working dimensions that give us S.Q. experience when synergy is there as the starting experimental point , people that think that to be experienced we must upgrade to our 5oth speakers the more costly the better who are ignorant or simply reviewers of gear ...

Most competent reviewers know what i spoke about and some even say it clearly as Huff who speak about gear to sell it, it is OK , but constantly repeat we can be happy learning what to do with a relatively low cost system .