The new Coda S5.5 amplifier: It's a "Petite Beast"!

I have in-house the New Coda Technologies S5.5 amplifier for review for Stereo Times website. It will be awhile before I write the review. However, I'm so impressed by the performance of this petite amplifier, it only weights 45 pounds, that I wanted to give a heads up to you GON members if you are in the market for a balanced pure class A amplifier, delivers 50 watts @ 8 Ohms, and can drop 100 Amperes of current on a peak!

The world class build quality of Coda amplifiers is on display with the S5.5, along with the most beautiful purity of tonality, precise sound-staging, complete liquidity offered by pure class A design, and what might be the best top end regarding details, decays, and a natural shimmering without brightness or any edge at all.

The S5.5 uses extremely wide bandwidth output transistors instead of the usual TO3 devices used in most transistor designs. I own the Coda #16, which is great, but the midrange/high end is taken to another level of musical enjoyment with the S5.5. The S5.5 has a sense of speed/aliveness that is exciting to listen to that you experience in live music. The amp is dynamic as hell, has driven with ease any speaker I have tried it with, hence my nickname of the "Petite Beast". Remember, 50 watts pure class A, can drop 100 amperes of current and only weights 45 pounds.

Teajay (Terry London)

johnah5

sim_audio_nerd,

I just looked up your Supratek Grange Signature, that looks like a beautiful beast! I'd love to hear your comments once the CODA shows up

This thread by Terry has caused quite a stir for Coda, as of today my 5.5 S has been on order for 5 weeks and it may ship maybe by next week! And Terry's review has not even gone live yet!  Selling like hot cakes just from this thread evidently. Cannot wait to hear from those that get their amp and can report back here how they like them. for me it's going to provide my "escape route" from a lifetime with tubes, hope it works out for me! I need to simplify my life.

Hey fthompson251,

Besides the very satisfied owners who have already posted on this thread that they love their new S5.5, I have received another 3 Emails from other individuals raving about what this amp has added to the enjoyment of their systems. So please, when you get yours let us know what your experience. I believe you are in for quite the treat!

I hope to write the review on the S5.5 in the next two weeks. It will be a fun one to write because its such a great piece.

Teajay (Terry London)

@paoz 

The S20 is 200 watts of Class AB power, whereas the S5.5 is 50 watts of Class A (at 8 ohms).