The new Coda S5.5 amplifier: It's a "Petite Beast"!

I have in-house the New Coda Technologies S5.5 amplifier for review for Stereo Times website. It will be awhile before I write the review. However, I'm so impressed by the performance of this petite amplifier, it only weights 45 pounds, that I wanted to give a heads up to you GON members if you are in the market for a balanced pure class A amplifier, delivers 50 watts @ 8 Ohms, and can drop 100 Amperes of current on a peak!

The world class build quality of Coda amplifiers is on display with the S5.5, along with the most beautiful purity of tonality, precise sound-staging, complete liquidity offered by pure class A design, and what might be the best top end regarding details, decays, and a natural shimmering without brightness or any edge at all.

The S5.5 uses extremely wide bandwidth output transistors instead of the usual TO3 devices used in most transistor designs. I own the Coda #16, which is great, but the midrange/high end is taken to another level of musical enjoyment with the S5.5. The S5.5 has a sense of speed/aliveness that is exciting to listen to that you experience in live music. The amp is dynamic as hell, has driven with ease any speaker I have tried it with, hence my nickname of the "Petite Beast". Remember, 50 watts pure class A, can drop 100 amperes of current and only weights 45 pounds.

Teajay (Terry London)

johnah5

FYI - I saw a CODA 07x preamp on sale for an amazing price on USAM. 

I am listening to the Class A Schitt Mjolnir V3 preamp ($1200, no remote) with my CODA #16. I am using a bight Benchmark DAC3B with this setup. This is a really good combo and I bet sounds as good with the S5.5. Something to consider for a low-cost preamp. 

I have the Benchmark LA4 and Mjolnir connected to the #16 at the same time since the #16 supports such as setup.

@sim_audio_nerd Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Grange and the Coda synergy, I myself have the Supratek Cabernet driving a Belles SA30 class A power amp, it sounds great on my Graham Audio LS 5/9 also very nice on low volume, my amp gets quite warm 56c so is very useful for heating up the listening room in the winter, although in summer it can be a bit annoying, only thing I sometimes wish for is more detail, but at the same time I don’t want to lose my systems musicality, have also wonder about the Atmasphere class d offering and the Musiklab 200.

Good luck with your purchase 👍🏻

@minatophase3 Is this new Class A Coda amp equal or better than my anticipated purchase of the Westminster Labs REI (I know they have double the power but I have 96db 6 ohm efficient speakers so that's not an issue).  

@fleschler I am not sure, I have an Accuphase E-380, never heard the Westminster labs REI.  Compared to the Accuphase I think the S5.5 is better in every way with the exception of the Accuphase has a bit warmer sound which I like but that is personal preference.  Lows and Highs are better on the S5.5 and I would count the Midrange to be equal on both.

@gryphongryph totally will do. I have a hunch the Supratek+Coda would be great match but I hope my hunch is true!