The new Coda S5.5 amplifier: It's a "Petite Beast"!

I have in-house the New Coda Technologies S5.5 amplifier for review for Stereo Times website. It will be awhile before I write the review. However, I'm so impressed by the performance of this petite amplifier, it only weights 45 pounds, that I wanted to give a heads up to you GON members if you are in the market for a balanced pure class A amplifier, delivers 50 watts @ 8 Ohms, and can drop 100 Amperes of current on a peak!

The world class build quality of Coda amplifiers is on display with the S5.5, along with the most beautiful purity of tonality, precise sound-staging, complete liquidity offered by pure class A design, and what might be the best top end regarding details, decays, and a natural shimmering without brightness or any edge at all.

The S5.5 uses extremely wide bandwidth output transistors instead of the usual TO3 devices used in most transistor designs. I own the Coda #16, which is great, but the midrange/high end is taken to another level of musical enjoyment with the S5.5. The S5.5 has a sense of speed/aliveness that is exciting to listen to that you experience in live music. The amp is dynamic as hell, has driven with ease any speaker I have tried it with, hence my nickname of the "Petite Beast". Remember, 50 watts pure class A, can drop 100 amperes of current and only weights 45 pounds.

Teajay (Terry London)

johnah5

@ronkent the issue for me was that I could hear hiss from the preamp on quiet musical passages. Once I heard it was always on my mind and I was only listening to the hiss, even on louder passages. Now this hiss level is about the same for a lot of gear, except the 2 preamps I use now, which are totally silent.

I sit about 8 feet away from the speakers so that is rather close.

@hanki Did you check on the temperature of the amp after driving them at say 90db for a few hrs? It would be interesting to see how much effort the amp is putting out to drive your 4 Ohm speaker.

@firefly627s Thanks for that observation/suggestion - the Backert is definitely on my very short list. I can't recall every reading anything remotely negative about the Rhumba Extreme much less the Rhythm. And it's goodness was also confirmed in this thread by @vthokie83 ... Still can't wait to hear back from @minatophase3 on synergy with Holo Audio Serene. I'll need to sell some surplus gear to make all this happen too... Luxman 550 MkII, Cary Audio SLI-100, and possibly my beloved CSiB. From everything that's being said here... This is has the makings of exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks again to everyone who is contributing to this thread.

hi Santabarbara,  I too get a bit of hiss when i put my ear to the speaker but cannot hear it from 8 ft away.  the PS BHK preamp was noisier for sure.  i recall the Pass XP22 being a bit quieter but it was not a good fit for my system.

I am going to wait for @vthokie83 to report back on his Motherload XL to make a decision on which preamp to get to pair with my incoming Coda s5.5. I am to the "endgame" point at age 69. I am intrigued by that Coda 07x from the synergy perspective. This shift in the conversation is exactly the information I am looking for. What to pair with the S5.5 that won’t require selling a kidney to buy.

@hanki just for clarification, you’re Magico S5 speakers have the following specs and you don’t find the S5.5 lacking in power or bass output compared to other amps?

Sensitivity: 88dB
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Recommended Power: 50 watts - 1000 Watts

I have the SF Amati Traditions, which present a similar load, so I’m wondering if it might be a good match for them.