The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
Koss model 1A electrostatic speakers, tri-amped with all tube electronics was very spiffy. Heard them at paragon of sound way back when.
I know it's completely unrealistic for me to ever own but it was the best pair of speakers I've ever heard.
"I know it's completely unrealistic for me to ever own but it was the best pair of speakers I've ever heard."
Sjc1204

What speakers are you talking about?
I have finally heard a ribbon that I liked. Proac D30's got it right and for the price are on the must audition list. Tubes did them right ;)...Ayre TT, Ortofon arm and cart too. Any vinyl will do most systems right ;).

I heard top Audio Note speakers that I loved also. I didn't like the Spendor, Harbeth or Maggies (just for my ear) on this past trip and the Focals were missing something and I don't know what it is. I think the mids just didn't do it for me and all the ones I heard were driven with top gear and set up their best. Magico blew me out of the water, but I'd like to hear them vs the Vandy's. For the cost, I think the Vandy's will win out, but Magico's really were special.

I heard the Proacs sound different in different rooms. Very different. Does that mean they are going to show up anything in the system? I kind of think that's the case, but they are room dependent. Every speaker I've heard has sounded different in different rooms with the same components. I've been able to hear this a few times. I find it interesting that I've yet to find a speaker that is worth 50k vs one half that price. Yes the sound is better, but I can't afford the 25k speakers, so for me there is fulcrum point if you would.