The best CD Player for the money

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A CD PLAYER AND I DONT KNOW WHICH WAY TO GO.WITH SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM I WANT TO PURCHASE SOMETHING GOOD BUT I DONT WANT TO SPEND 10,000 EITHER.
jazze22
I always loved the sound of My CAL CL-10 (a solid 5 disk changer) with 20 bit DAC. Sounds great, and for several years was a Stereophile recommended component. Listed as better than most single disks, with the convenience of a changer.

I see them cheap on Audiogon all the time
All you 9000es owners, take a look at www.tweakaudio.com. Ric Schultz of Electronic Visonary Systems has thoroughly reworked all the important areas that Sony had to skimp on and turned this thing into something that should be truly special. There is a 30-day money back guarantee if you're not blown away. Check out his site for more details, but it should be hard to beat. You can do the whole thing for about $1800 including the price of the 9000es.

Tim
By far! I've made a big mistake and replaced mine by an expensive upsampling cdp (no names, still trying to sell it!) Meridian is just the best. Check out both USA and British reviews. 5 stars in everyone. I thought I would "upgrade" and blew it big time. I'm out thousands of dollars. Second choice, almost as good isa used BAT. After that, a used ARC. Stay away from the rest, unless you can find a 10 year old ES 7 series Sony. I had the last series of the ES top of the line and it didn't compare to the old. (Yup, I'm an equipment junkie. I've owned at least two dozen players, dacs and upsamplers!!) I recall reading in a recent recording magazine how a top remastering guy, very well known also went back, trashed his twenty thousand rig, pulled out his 12 year old Wadia and it was great!) My learning, painful and expensive: Newer is not better. Funky, small companies can make great gear, but vary too much in quality control and are liable to go out of business on you. Two players I would list in my class B (Resolution, Muse)--sometimes they seem to be in business or on the lips of everyone, then they disappear. Tremendous variation in samples I've heard. Also, in my class B used if you can find, are expensive players by Linn and Naim. Somehow, Brits seem to get this digital thing. Also note, you'll find a lot of Meridians used and can negotiate sometimes because of how many made. I was shocked when I asked them once how many sold. All the Krells, Levinsons (just like a Meridian 508 just a little hard at top and forward, but musical) Proceeds, Muse, Resolutions put together (and a few companies more) have sold less than total number of Meridian units!!
Absolutely no brainer. As yeast says, they have sold a ton of them for a reason. They have so many out there you should get one reasonably. The 508 either one. Best single box, even better (see reviews in Stereophile) than Levinson 39. The word is that the 508 is even still better than the fabulous newer 588.
Stay away from Electrocompaniet. I sold mine. Hard, hard, hard. If you have a ECM1 and it sounds ok, you must have one heck of a depressed tweeter/midrange and a really weak tube amp. The bass was fine on the ECM. Just stick with used class A from Stereophile, though too many upgrades from BAT otherwise fine buy but just a little less pace than Meridian. Trust the Stereophile reviews, they are right on the money on digital, especially issues before Harley and some of the other fine digital guys moved on. They really were very reliable and helpful reviews, so were Fi's (alas!)
This thread has been going on for a LONG time! I'm going to join in, too. My votes for best CD players for the money:

Meridian 508.24 (can find used for great prices)
Ah! New Tjoeb (unbelievably good for $579)
Any CAL, but particularly Aria Mk III, Icon Mk II, & Tercet
(the tubed Alpha or Sigma DACs are also great)

If cost is no object, my list would be different, but in my opinion these players offer incredibly good sound for extremely reasonable prices. Any of these could suffice as the last CD player you ever need to buy, unless, like me, you just have the fever for changing things every few months or so. I lived with the Meridian for 7 years! It was excellent. Before that, I had Cal Tempest II, and used it for about 6 yrs straight. Now I buy/trade/change more frequently. I'm using the EMC-1, the Marantz SA-1, and the Ah! New Tjoeb, and love them all. Each does great things for my CDs. I disagree w/those who find the EMC-1 "hard;" it is the most analog-like CD player I have ever owned, in my opinion. But I am female and 48, and my ears and hearing and tastes may be quite different from yours.
Reading and contributing to this thread has been fun!