Tekton tweeter design

Hi everyone,

I found a cool, fact filled thread with some smart DIY'ers over at the DIYAudio forum about how the Tekton tweeter arrays are wired and how they work.

Kind of interesting in how they were innovative in some ways, and in others did some questionable things. Reminds me of Infinity, who developed crazy crossovers in large part by ear, which we can now really improve upon. Still good sounding, but in hind sight we wonder about them.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/336743-help-understanding-tekton-tweeter-array-schematic.h...

Please, keep your flames over here on Audiogon. :)
erik_squires
1 - Yes, if you mean, the quality of the sound. However, it's the dispersion that's the key unique attribute of this design.

2 - The controlled dispersion is the main attribute of the array. It will act more like a line array or ESL in that it will have a rather large mid range, with the top end of a tweeter.

It would be interesting to compare an arrangement like this with something much more conventional, like an Eminence coax.
In the case of this particular speaker, one thing I noted was the choice of low crossover slopes between the 6" (or whatever) mid-woofers and the tweet array.

I felt off axis response could be greatly improved, especially vertically.

Patrick, having examined the actual parts, also makes the point that there are some parts that seemingly don't have to be there at all.
I noticed “problems” with the vertical dispersion of this tweeter array. The highs seemed to change a lot with small changes in listening position height. No big deal I guess, just something I noticed with the impact monitors I owned.
Hi @travbrow

Part of it is by design. Having a tight beam means less room interference. The speakers will sound more like headphones when you are in the sweet spot.

But part of it was how they tweeters would remain integrated off axis. That part is clearly lacking based on the measurements.

@travbrow.   My point/ question was that this is not an expensive or exotic tweeter.... so how well does it do piano... or trumpet... or cymbals.... or saxophone or other hard to get right tones?  Is the tone/pitch good or is it outstanding?   All of the reviews of the models with this array would seem to point toward outstanding.  What was your observation?

As for using 6 tweeters to act as a midrange because of being lighter weight and hence faster... based on price alone the 6 tweeters would be similar to a good midrange driver... presumably the “sound” must be better or why go this route?

The tekton array has garnered lots of good comments... so understanding “how and why” it works is interesting.