Technics SL 1200 GR

Hi everyone,

I know that a lot of you might think I am crazy but it is what it is.  I heard a Rega Planar 6 play a few days ago and was totally mesmerized with the sound. This will be my first TT and I am the type that prefers to buy the best I can instead of starting small, selling and upgrading. I have to admit, I do enjoy fiddling with upgrades but the idea is to get a future proof turntable and upgrade stuff like cartridges, etc along the way.  

Before you recommend that I get the P6, its simply out of my budget. I could consider the P3 if you believe its better than the SL 1210 GR (not the latest model 2 but the original one). 

Anyway, here are some questions I was hoping you'd be able to help me with:

• What will a good starter Cartridge?
  • Should I go for MM or MC? Is one more complicated to install than the other? prefer something simple as its my first time.  Also, I read stuff like LO and HO.. For what ts worth, I will be using my Marantz PM Ki Ruby's built in phono (I believe it can handle both MM and MC, I could be wrong).
  • Anything else I should keep in mind?  Basic products for maintenance? 

Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate it!

prashanth14485

The GR is the best sounding table I’ve encountered anywhere near the <$3K price point. 

You really must step up to a $5K^ belt-drive table or the 1200G to get a worthwhile improvement. Even with a $5K belt drive you might have to sacrifice some pitch stability when it comes to sustained notes.

Guys, the table arrived yesterday and its simply stunning. Love how it looks and feels. The heft and weight feels solid compared to the Rega (which felt quite light to be honest). I'm not saying it in a negative way, coz I know Rega is all about its engineering but the weight of the 1210 gr does feel nice.

@newfzx7 thank you.  the AT cartridge will arrive today. I bought one that's already installed to a head shell. Its supposed to be pre-aligned.  My stylus gauge and protractor doesn't arrive until tomorrow. Should I wait to make sure i have the accurate tracking force and alignment or trust the cartridge alignment and Technics tracking force knob?

@helomech thank you. I am extremely pleased with the table and i don't doubt it one bit. Can't get better than this for the $$. 

The Technics SL1200GR is a great turntable for the money, especially for a low fuss user who isn't inclined to go down the rabbit hole (plenty of time for that later). I am currently using that table with assorted carts and have no reason to upgrade until I am ready to spend significantly more money ($5k plus for table, $5k plus for phono-preamp, and $2k plus for cart – plus hours of time).

My favorite carts for the SL1200GR are a Hana SL (.5mv output) running into 1kohms (the cart needs >400 ohms minimum, but opening it up can sound better in some systems, some people run them wide open but I find that a bit harsh).  I also really like my Mofi MasterTracker MM (3mv output), which of course I run wide open (47kohms) and can be run using a standard MM phono pre input. (that Mofi MasterTracker is similar to the AT cart you are looking at but has better build quality).

The Hana ML has lower output and will require a better phono preamp to a step-up transformer to extract its value.  You have to decide how much you want to spend on a phono pre.  I'm satisfied with a $1.7k Odyssey Suspiro for my modest carts; you will need to spend considerably more if you are looking at high end ($2k plus) carts.  The HanaML is a great value cart if matched with the right phono-pre, without the right pre you will likely not notice a difference between the ML and the SL.

Everybody talks up the Denon 103, but it is too heavy for the medium compliance arm on the SL1200 GR.  If you want to go that route, do your research on tone arm compliance.  I can get my Shure V15 III to work, but it really needs a high compliance, lightweight arm to work well.  The arm on the SL1200GR works with a wide variety of modern carts, including ATs, Ortofons and Grados.  The removable shell makes it easy to swap carts!

@kahlenz Thanks for taking the time to validate my decision to purchase the 1210 GR. It really means a lot to me. also, the recommendations on Carts.. I am still trying to understand what’s required to run LO vs HO MC carts vs MM carts.

My Marantz PM KI Ruby states the following for input sensitivity/Input impedance:

• PHONO (MC): 250 μV / 100 Ω/ohms
  • PHONO (MM): 2.3 mV/39 kΩ/kohms

Is this what I should be referring to when deciding whether or not my marantz is good enough to drive for example, the Hana SL? You’ve mentioned minimum of >400 ohms..looks like my amp is nowhere near that mark.. lol and its not even good enough to run the Mofi MM that requires 47 ohms?

Any MM cart, including the Mofi MasterTracker and the AT540 will be fine (not optimal) with 39 kohms loading.  The Hana needs higher resistance to be optimal, but will work (it will be a bit constrained running into 100 ohms).  I would look into something like the Ortofon Quintet Blue MC for a better match and save some $$.  Look into better MC carts when you are ready to upgrade your phono pre (or just get the Hana, which is exceptional for the price, knowing you will eventually want to upgrade your phono pre).

Don't discount MM carts.  I love them!  Even the Ortofon 2M Red at $99 sounds great (they get better as you go up the line, the 2M bronze would be the one I would shoot for with your amp).  The Grado Prestige carts are also cheap and cheerful and sound fantastic (Grado has a cool house sound you may like).  At this price point, MMs are in their wheelhouse, and you can try a bunch of them!  If I am being honest, I like my MasterTracker MM better than the HanaSL for casual listening (the Hana IS more resolving, but only when I am listening carefully and not distracted by anything going on around me).  But when I am partying and drinking beer with friends it is MC all the way!