Technics MK2 > Pear Audio Blue Integrated Amp

Audiogon Community, 

I'm just wading into the Hi-Fi world and wanted to get some input on my phono set-up.  I'm running a Technics MK2 with a Grado Gold cartridge > Marantz Cinema 70s phono input > Pear Audio Blue (55w p/c) integrated amp (via pure direct Zone 2 output).

I am impressed with the sound stage as it's a dramatic improvement over my previous set up but I am finding that I am really having to crank the volume on the Marantz to get the desired output and appreciate the full spectrum.  Is this normal?  

To me, it doesn't make sense on paper to put another phono stage in line before the Pear as it is integrated but would this be a viable option?  Perhaps wait until I can afford more robust amplification components?  Maybe the Technics is the weak link?

I am using Anti interconnects and Auditorium 23 speaker cables + DeVore Silverback Reference speakers.  Appreciate your takes!

-Mike

mitaliano

I'm not into vinyl so this may not be correct but it sounds like you have a bad mismatch between the output impedance of your source & input impedance of your PHONO STAGE..

It's common for phono to have lower level than line level sources. It's perfectly fine provided your amplifier can be driven to sufficient output.

So are you using the pre-out on the Marantz to connect to the Pear? Maybe just use one or the other to see how it sounds.