T+A's new R 2500 R integrated amp

**Not to be confused with earlier T+A products that have similar names.**

Does anybody have hands-on experience with this incredibly flexible integrated amp? It’s been shipping in the US for just a couple of months, & has not yet been reviewed in the Tier One audiophile press

It’s absolutely not possible for me to hear the R 2500 R before buying, and at nearly $19,000, I’m hesitant to pull the trigger blind. But it sure sounds impressive on paper, boasting one of T+A’s world-class DAC/streamers, several hundred Class AB wpc, 31-lb weight, discrete headphone amp, some of the most comprehensive connectivity on the market, firmware-upgradability, a friendly UI, and, of course, T+A’s reputation for impeccable sound quality. It even includes a CD transport & FM tuner, as well as HDMI w/ARC I/O for integration into a home theater. Whew.

I normally wouldn’t consider an embedded DAC/streamer, but, heck, this is T+A, the company that made its name throughout Europe for its no-holds-barred DAC technology. And I understand that the R 2500’s internal DAC is an updated (albeit "merely" 512DSD) version of the company’s highly regarded $7500 1-bit standalone model.

Given all that, I’d love to speak with anyone who managed to score one of the first batch (now sold out at many dealerships); or even to a golden ear who plans to audition this amp at AXPONA.

cundare2

Showing 4 responses by mgrif104

I wish I had direct experience for you, but I do have some relevant experience to share.

I used to own their R2000 integrated amp, now upgraded to the PA3100 HV integrated, and currently own their DAC200. So, I have experience with the brand quality and sound.

I was actually quite pleased with the R2000 but experienced a bit of dynamic compression at higher volumes (think Mahler crescendos). It was a modestly powered amp so that’s not a surprise. I compared the sound to SimAudio 700 series integrated and the detail retrieval was about the same, but the T+A a touch warmer, and significantly smoother. The PA3100 HV has a similar sound, but more of everything and no dynamic limitations that I’ll ever reach.

The DAC 200 is good on PCM - competitive with the marketplace of $7k DACs on PCM, but I wouldn’t necessarily say better than other choices. However, on native DSD - it’s exceptional. I almost didn’t purchase the DAC when auditioning it at home because I was feeding it PCM. But, I have an outboard processor (does the same thing as HQ Player) and when I sent it DSD 512, I was shocked at how good it was. So, ended up being an easy purchase.

I don’t know what’s in this new integrated, but you’ll get more power than I had in the R2000 - and that was its only limitation. And, if the DAC is anywhere close to the DAC200, you should be quite pleased with it.

Hope this helps.

Best,

@cundare2 

My apologies for the tardy response. You asked what speakers I was driving with my original R2000. Those were KEF Reference 3s. I now have Sonus Faber Serafinos. The KEFs are good speakers and benefited from a fair amount of power. My room is about the same size as yours and at my normal listening level- I never wanted for more. But every now and then - when my wife wasn’t home, I played symphonic music at scale. It was only then I experienced this limitation. But the R2500 has significantly more power than the R2000 so perhaps not an issue for you.

FWIW - the R2000 never struggled with the impedance or difficult loads from the KEFs. I had two previous separate power amps in system at some point - a Parasound Halo and NAD Masters series. Both had more significantly more watts than the R2000, but didn’t sound nearly as good but it’s also fair to note there were other preamps involved too. Regardless, I offer what I experienced and hope it helps. 

I’m intrigued by the new unit. I’ve got another building project about to start and this might be a good choice as I really do like the brand and engineering behind it. I was thinking the DAC200 with accompanying multiplayer and class D monos or stereo amp, but the R2500 might be just the ticket. Also under consideration would be the new North line by Sim audio. My local dealer who carries that line raves about it - but I haven’t heard it yet. Not quite all encompassing as the T+A unit, but still looks interesting. 

The Hegel mentioned above has a strong following and I understand it’s quite good. But, I’ve never heard or put my hands on a unit so I can’t be of any help to you there. And, because it isn’t carried by any of my locals shops, isn’t on my particular list.

I look forward to hearing what you decide and about your experiences. 

Best,

@cundare2 

If you ultimately decide upon purchasing the T+A unit, I suggest you connect with Juan @blisshifi. I purchased my DAC200 from him and had a particularly good experience. He’s not pushy, and is pretty thoughtful about helping a customer get to the right place. I can comfortably recommended him as a dealer.

Best,