Suggestions on improvement

I'm 78 with age related  hearing decline.My current system which I do enjoy is comprised of a  Marantz CD cd 60006,Technics integrated SUG700,Canton stand mounted 9k reference speakers, and  two SVS SB1000 pro subs, Subs interconnects are SVS. Stand mounted are connected by marker cables on upper frequencies and monster cables Powerline 2 for mids and bass. 

Speakers are placed 8 ft apart the listening position is also 8 ft.The  room is untouchable,that is to say wife has fixed my location,hey no smirks, I know where my beard is buttered.The room has vaulted ceiling 14 ft(at sitting position),has one open sidewall,another is 3 ft behinds the speakers and is covered in  floor to ceiling drapes on a 9 ft wall,the third wall on one side is all glass (glass door and full length window next to it ) the final wall behind the sitting position has glass covered photos and prints.On The sides of each speaker are over stuffed chairs with a couch facing the speakers.Hanging plants are in all corners.The room has wall to wall carpeting. For domestic tranquility I can only subtract components so bass traps and alike are verboten. I listen Stones, Beatles, Who,female solos, symphonies,and jazz(sax oriented).

Are there any cheap tweeks to improve current system given the above, max budget $1000.However if can improve my sound by selling off apiece of gear and adding that revenue I'd do it, just don't know what I'd get off the sale. 

scott22

I second the Schiit Loki Mini @ $150....great little unit that modifies your sound to your liking.

If I were to change anything, it would be the CD player.  It is not in the same league as your amp and speakers.  Which means you would be spending way more than a grand to improve it.  So don't do it.  I am not sure it would be worth it as your stereo sits in the middle of your living room and excessive tweaking would just create friction.  I am 10 years younger and after awhile, who needs the grief?

I like the idea of tone controls.  Doubt cable changes would make an audible difference given where the system lives.  Possibly add headphone capability.  Then you can get the side glances I do when I put on my phones and they still speak to me like I can hear them.  

Be well, 

Rich 

I have the Marantz CD6007 paired with a Chord Qutest DAC & am still not happy with my CD sound. It is infinitely better than using the internal Marantz DAC, but doesn’t compare to streaming or vinyl. So while a DAC upgrade is a definite improvement, I am not sure it will get you where you want to go. 

Perhaps a lower end Topping DAC paired with the Audiolab 6000CDT would be a great solution well within your budget… very similar to @audphile1 recommendation. 

Audphile1/others: which Audiolab do you recommend if I were to upgrade? I am a very infrequent CD listener, but that could change if I could get CD sound on par with vinyl and streaming. Or perhaps I just load all my CD’s to my Aurender and call it a day. 

Get some hearing aids. That will help you hear your system better. Start there.