Suggestions for a top flight streamer/Dac around the $2000 mark?

Time for another change and moving from my Ayre EX8 super integrated with built in streaming and dac to a BAT VK300SE integrated.
So looking to up the ante on streaming and dac sq with a dedicated streamer/dac.
I know this tech moves faster than I can keep track of!
So suggestions around the 2k mark and used is perfectly fine!
Many thanks!
128x128uberwaltz
Greg, I noticed an improvement in sound quality (and now never ever get dropouts) when I went from a longer cat6 Ethernet cable to a shorter cat7 cable with the Teac, so if you aren’t already at cat7 you might try that. I’m just using a cheap AmazonBasics Ethernet cable under $10
@david_ten I agree with your point about having points of reference and comparisons. 

My point of reference was the Blue Sound Node 2 / Auralic Vega DAC combination that I had prior to purchasing the TEAC.  I shared my thought process about my purchasing decision, but did not make sound quality comparisons to something I haven't heard.  I did share my impressions of the TEAC vs. what I had. 

I appreciate it when people make posts about their actual experiences, not conjecture, and try to limit my posts to my personal experience and stay away from conjecture.
+1 @big_greg   Thanks for the additional clarification! 

I appreciate it when people make posts about their actual experiences, not conjecture, and try to limit my posts to my personal experience and stay away from conjecture.

Agree entirely as anybody can read reviews and then near enough copy and paste here their opinions.
Which is why I nearly always ask for contributions from members actual experience with equipment.

I am more than able to Google manufacturer reviews as well as the next person but Agon member reviews are usually a little more reliable as we have paid our hard earned money to get to where we are now.

Now that is not meant as disparaging to professional reviews at all but I hope you get my point.
Yep, for sure. Since this is a $2k-ish thread (see title), can say that I currently own and regularly use 4 such products across different installations (Teac, marantz, Integra, Bluesound) and from my posts here you know my overwhelming favorite based on actual ownership and heavy use. 
Brooklyn Bridge+. DAC with streaming.  Adding an SBoster external power supply is a meaningful upgrade 
I did pick up an older Ayre QB9 DAC for peanuts as I was pretty happy with the Ayre DAC quality in my old EX8 and Ayre right now are offering an update to this to Twenty status which basically means the only old parts surviving are the outer casework!

After reading on other threads of Aurender outstanding customer service and support that has pushed the N100H way up my list of viable streamer contenders.
It is USB only and the QB9 is USB only so maybe a very good match.
Decided to go with an Aurender N100H for now.
Hopefully will be a good move.
Thanks to all for their useful and helpful suggestions
@uberwaltz,

Congratulations on your purchase of N100 and QB9. You’re in for a very nice treat. Did your N100 came with MQA upgrade?
Enjoy!
Lalitk.

I am not sure on mqa but I really only stream Qobuz now so not truly a consideration for my purchase.
But I will find out definitely.
Well this is another fine mess indeed. Lol.

While waiting for the N100h to arrive I picked up a Bryston bdp-pi and had been using that through a very cheap simple meridian explorer 2 USB DAC.

Set up the n100h today and hmmm, what's the fuss about?

The Bryston bdp-pi sounds a lot better to my ears. A lot more bass and body.

Now the only big difference I can see is the USB cable.
Because the meridian DAC us s a mini USB b port that has a different cable, a WireWorld Starlight 7.

The n100h into qb9 regular USB cable which is just a Pangea one costing about $50.

Could it just be the cable or?

Next I am going to try the n100h through the meridian.
Which only has a 3.5mm output so using a Audioquest adapter to twin RCA.
Really should be a lot worse than qb9 via XLR cables!

Perplexing.
Think I just answered my own question.
Found an old Straightwire usb cable and swapped that it and a fair bit of difference.

So I guess the next question is what usb cable can anybody recommend that is not going to break the bank!
I’ve tried a few from Wireworld, Pangea, Audioquest, and Curious. They all sounding the same in my system. I was always using Auralic streamers (Aries G1, Aries, and Mini) into various USB DACs. The Auralics have optical & coax outputs too, and those sounded no different than using USB, in my case.

I lean more of the side of the DAC making all the difference, and the streamer is more of what user interface you prefer. Use whatever cable looks and feels best too, that is always my preference! :)
I
lean more of the side of the DAC making all the difference, and the streamer is more of what user interface you prefer. Use whatever cable looks and feels best too, that is always my preference! :)

If you believe that why wouldn't you just use chromecast audio with minimserver or a Node 2i into whatever DAC you like? Why spend big bucks on Auralic? Not being confrontational, just curious.

Oz

After talking with Grannyring and hearing quite a few recommendations I went with one of his double smoked USB cables, be here next week so we will see then.
So have you compared USB to other inputs on your DAC? I have a cheap monoprice cable coming tomorrow to try between my Lumin and MHDT DAC. I am more curious than anything never having used USB into a DAC before.

Oz

See the product report (Monoprice Monolith) by Duster at the link here.  Previously posted to the "Help in deciding USB cable" thread.  Ridiculously high performance to cost ratio. If you don't like 'em, you can afford to just throw them out. On the other hand the seller does allow returns. Comments on my own experience with them included in the AudioAsylum thread.  I now have 1 meter running from Seagate HD to Aries Mini and 2 meters running from Mini to Schiit Eitr.  (then Blackcat Silverstar 75 from Eitr to Schiit Gungnir MB.)

https://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/messages/17/176921.html
@ozzy62 
I'll be interested reading what you think (and what you are comparing it to).
@uberwaltz,

Please post your findings on double smoked USB. Do you know what kind wire is being used in this cable?
Lalitk.
I certainly will.
Bill is burning it in over the weekend on a Orchid he is burning in so should be "well done" 😂😂 when I receive it.

It was a close call between this and the Audio Envy you recommended and I still may buy one of those as well later on.

Bill has never let me down yet though!
Sorry missed a part.
No I do not know what type of wire is used although he did say was 16g against the typical 24 to 22g employed by others.