Subwoofer boom is too much for me...

Could I tone down the boom on my subwoofer by plugging the port with something like a washcloth?  Have you ever tried this and had success?

Thanks for your thoughts.

128x128mikeydee

@frogman 

should start the new year on a higher note

should start the new year on a LOWER note= subwoofer thread 😁

Not to sound dumb but how much does source material impact subwoofer settings.. The difference in bass from cd to cd and even vinyl to vinyl often has me running to my subs…

There is a setting in my processor that is for late night listening that tones down bass volume so as not to wake up family or neighbors while still having dialog clear. Most receivers have something similar that could be used instead of changing sub settings.

Not to sound dumb but how much does source material impact subwoofer settings.. The difference in bass from cd to cd and even vinyl to vinyl often has me running to my subs…

Hey @bcupari - This is a symptom of having excess bass peaks. The frequency response of your sub has narrow and very tall peaks which some music happens to excite. Get measuremenets and DSP correction, clip those peaks!  Alternatively, or together, you might also try to move the sub/listening location to a place where it's less likely to excite your room modes.  Check out the AM Acoustics room simulator.

You’ll notice then your sub will sound too low. Now you can bring the sub level up and it will sound good with a much broader variety of music.