Streamer/DAC - Where is the value?

I currently have ($10K) Olympica Nova II speakers, ($11K) McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp and a (~$1.5K) Cambridge Audio 851N network player. The weak link here seems to be the Cambridge unit. 

I'm prepared to upgrade my streamer/DAC situation and my budget is about $4-6K. Although there are SO many options out there and it's tough to tell where I'll find the most value. My assumption is that the DAC is going to play a much larger part in sound quality than the Streamer. I play music primarily through Tidal. I don't have requirements for server storage or any other sophisticated source capabilities. 

Many of the network players come with a pre-amp which I am assuming I should rule immediately. That pre-amp would be taking a share of the overall budget. On the other hand I was thinking maybe I should buy separates. I could max out the DAC and get something good enough for the streaming. Or even continue to use the Cambridge if I really wanted. Having a beautiful screen on a good looking streamer would be nice but seems like lower priority in terms of bang for buck.

Curious to hear people's thoughts. Are there any specific units anyone would recommend as either an all in one network player or as separates? The Auralic ALTAIR G2.1 seems like the ideal all in one but it's at the very peak of my budget.

Thanks!

128x128jpearson3131

I went with stablemate separates from BRYSTON….

(i) streamer/server/ network digital player

(ii) DAC

advantage:

- top-shelf high-end build and audio performance.Google the reviews  

- built in linear power supplies .,.. = terrific combo

FWIW

I just picked up the Aurender N200 and it is a great machine.   You should try to check out the A200, it includes DAC and remote.   The N200 just streams, you need a DAC.   Aurender support is awesome.  I had a few questions and they got right back to me.   I use Qobuz but I just subscribed to Tidal HiFi + to compare the two.  Great machine 

I have a Bluesound Node 2i streamer which I've paired with an MHDT Orchid tube DAC. I upgraded the Bluesound with a separate power supply and the Orchid with new caps and resistors thanks to @grannyring's expert help.

The Orchid has a nice review here -- https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/mhdtlab/

I had a long comparison between the Orchid and the Denafrips Ares II -- the Orchid had a wider, more articulate soundstage and more detailed presence in the tonalities than the Ares. I also compared the Orchid with the much more expensive Holo May DAC ($6k or so) and while the Holo May was better in the same ways the Orchid beat the Ares II, the Orchid held it's own -- I'd say it was about 80% as good as the Holo May. 

I've played with tubes in the Orchid, and one can soften or brighten the sound with various tubes; I like that element of tone control. I may decide to step up to the May DAC at some point soon and sell the Orchid, but for now it's quite an amazing value and delivers absorbing musicality.

I like the idea of a combination DAC/streamer but having them separate, or using Roon, makes me feel more comfortable about their future.  The thing I worry about is that Tidal/Quboz will fail and other services will take their place and that the streamer software won't be maintained.  Currently I use Roon to a Raspberry Pi 4 based streamer to my Mytek.

I would however focus mostly on sound quality.  Get a DAC you are in love with, and whether or not it has a streamer attached should be another issue.