Stereophile review of the $30,000 tekton speakers

We have had many discussions/arguments over tekton speakers in the past, mainly involving a couple posters who thought their $4000 tektons sounded better than the highest price Wilson’s and other high budget speakers.

In the latest Stereophile magazine, they did a review of the $30,000 tekton’s. In this Steteophile issue, they rate these $30,000 tekton’s as class B. When you look at the other speakers that are in the class B section, you will notice most of these speakers range in price from $5000-$8000. So it looks like you have to spend $30,000 on a pair of tekton’s to equal a pair of $5000 Klipsch Forte IV’s sound quality. 
If I compare these $30,000 class B tekton’s, to some of the class A speakers, there are some class A speakers for 1/2 the price (Dutch & Dutch 8C, Goldenear triton reference), or other class A speakers that are cheaper (Magico A5, Kef blade 2).

p05129

I’m very happy with my beautiful looking and sounding Dynaudio Heritage Specials

At any rate, it all depends how speaker sounds to YOU with YOUR gear and the music YOU prefer. Who cares who rates what if you like it?

Having said that, I always read measurements, esp speakers since I can predict pretty well if I may like or dislike speakers. If I didn’t like some highly reviewed speaker I always asked myself why. I studied measurements, woofer/tweeter materials, music used by the reviewer. Eventually I found things that always appeared in speakers (and headphones) that I liked and some features that made me dislike some types of gear.

I have no opinion on Tektons and never heard them. But from measurements it appears that they are very hard to drive (down to 1.5 Ohms), have very difficult impedance and show serious bump around 50-200 Hz. Some may like them bassy, some not. All depends on your gear. Maybe your favorite music benefits from increase in bass. Maybe not.

And guess what - JA said speakers need careful placement against walls to achieve neutral balance. So I am not crazy I guess.

Obviously YMMV.

So just to be clear, Tektons only have one tweeter-and that's every single speaker they sell.  The rest are midrange drivers in a circular pattern around the tweeter.  I had a pair of Electron Se which are basically double impact's with 8" woofers Instead of the 10".  I enjoyed them when I had them.  I was a crossover upgrade person so I did a lot of that kind of thing but they were a respectable sounding speaker.  I now have Legacy Signature SE' which I like quite a bit although they've got too many parts in their crossovers IMO.

After the most recent childish tantrum thrown (again) by Tekton owner Eric Alexander, I will never be purchasing from them again. I won't support a company with that kind of toxicity. Next,