Started with $1k speakers … what now?

I got into this hobby during Covid, browsing YouTube reviews my first speakers were Polk L100s and Sonus Faber Lumina 1s. Not bad as an entry point, but wondering what would be the next level is where a speaker is built with fewer compromises in the drivers and crossover design.  My hope was that in the $5k range truer “hifi” entry points may be found in a small room system with a REL t5x. My source and amplification is already in the $5k range. 

I visited a hifi store recently but was overwhelmed by the amount of choice and unsure what would be an upgrade based on first listening impressions alone. 

Thanks in advance for any insights.

jdavis234

Have you found A British Audiophile on Y/T? He has a smaller listening room than I do, where I use floor standers, he tends to focus on stand mount speakers. There are impressive speakers in that segment. Good luck with the hunt

There are a lot of well-off individuals posting here. Not to be critical, but simply more about how much financial risk one can take in their audio journey.

To me. it’s about Synergy, not $pending. That is not to say more dollars doesn’t get you less compromises, but rather the main lever to pull is the Integration of your components together, and your system into the room, which may involve $$ but involves many other aspects.

To drill in from a general audio opinion, I would say it’s fairly useless to choose speakers without a substantial audition in your room with your other components, your music, over an extended period that allows for real fatigue or sustained enjoyment. That’s not to say I walk into an audio store and don’t listen - sure I do...speakers have sufficient differences to be able to discern to some degree in non-contextual listening. It's a great way to knock out what you don't like!

But to really know, you just have to have them in your house. There are two primary ways I have seen to do this:

(1) Borrow from audio dealers or work with manufacturers/distributors that allow returns.

(2) Buy gently used gear at 50%-75% market value, already having lost the new speaker premium price, listen for 3-6 months, then keep, sell, or repurpose.

The latter is a slower, and to me more enjoyable process that is part of the whole thing - no reason to have to be in a hurry for any decision. I tend to keep several sets side by side, then one set goes to the lake house or as a trade-in at the audio dealer or back on Craigslist (only done CR as a seller a few times).

There is no audio endgame. Enjoy the journey. Don’t be in a hurry, it just costs more, and you miss half the attractions. Think of it like a fancy multicourse meal: everything keeps getting better, but you’re not in a hurry for the dessert.

I don’t disagree with any of your points I become annoyed when folks suggest items WAY above the OP’s stated budget and folks that recommend products they have no first hand experince with. Seeking speakers with a 5K budget in mind would suggest there is disposable income in play and certainly not what I’d consider over the top in regards to what a really good pair of speakers could go for. Additionally I would not assume whether or not someone is well heeled based on these discussions. I’ve encountered plenty of folk that spend way beyond their means in any endeavor and some that may have second Lake houses and may only purchase if an item is used etc. Who am I to judge?  Sometimes there are items suggested that are so spot on that they are almost never availible on the used market. As is the case in my exchanges here, NO Fritz speakers are availible on the used market anywhere so what does that suggest?. No one is suggesting to the OP to rush out and do anything, all I’ve read thus far for the most part is exactly the input they are seeking, but at some point...you gotta get off zero.

I love the Fritz line. I find them exceedingly smooth and neutral from the midrange to the treble (possible exception the Be) with bass much larger than the speakers and amazing transparency and imaging for the price.

My one concern about them is that many will find them too mellow and laid back. for small rooms, Jazz, classical and choral they could be fantastic. With a sub also fantastic.

They do benefit from decent room acoustics.

Absolutely the best buy in high end for the money and size.

Mahgister good point, learn this hobby and what you like, stop by audio store and listen as much you can with your system, or your friend system if they invite you.Before I SPEND MY HARD EARN money, I did accumulate knowledge putting system together and improved my listening skills.by learning you can save time and money.There are plenty of good speakers when you are ready.