speakers and cables

this is about me being a loser and problem creator.

I finally got a 2nd subwoofer and I was excited to hook it up. Well, not too excited. I knew it would be a pain to hook it up. I was excited to hear it. I spent over 90 minutes connecting the speaker wires to my power amp. When I turned it on, the left channel was gone. It blew the fuse. I disconnected everything, replaced the fuse, hooked it up again. It worked for 10 seconds, blew the fuse again.

The way I hooked them up was I went from the sub speaker out from both subwoofers, rolled the left and right side wires together so I had 4 wires that I connected to the left and right plus and minus channels - speaker binders on the power amp. What are my options? My preamp has no sub out. Nor my amp.

Stupid question: should I just go from left to left on one sub and right to right on the other sub?

grislybutter

@immathewj 

Thanks for checking back!

I am sticking with the quasi stacking for now (subs under and behind mains). The sound is growing on me. I am pretty happy with it. I am not smart enough to figure out how to place two subs anyway and because of the room constraints, it's unlikely that any place would work better.

The only other room I have is our living room where no setup ever sounded good. It has a 45 degree angle fire place in it cutting away a corner, maybe that's why. 

How is your Revel working out?

How is your Revel working out?

@grislybutter  , the last day to send them back has passed, so I guess they are mine now.  After the session that I had "officially" tallied at least 100 hours on them I hooked my B&Ws back up and I have to tell you that I was disappointed that the B&Ws didn't sound worse.  I considered sending the Revels back at that point.

But there was something about the way I felt when I was listening to the Revels that I was not/am not feeling with the B&Ws.  Which is why I suck at A/Bs and why I avoid doing them.  I don't know what it is that I hear or how to describe it but I know what I like listening to, if that makes sense.  I absolutely could not be a reviewer.  

My inability to be able to define what I hear is either a curse or a blessing.  I am not sure which.

Glad to hear the sub/speaker system is growing on you.  I think (and this applies to me) we often have such high expectations but we do not want to let ourselves be suckered in to confirmation bias so this all creates a mental conundrum that has an effect on our hearing.

And remember also that a brand new sub out of the box has break in as well.  Not only the speaker section but the amplification section. I'd let it settle in for a while and then contemplate incremental position changes.  Subs and speakers.  Although, personally speaking, that would drive me nuts.  Especially the way I have defined my own hearing.  "Do I hear it or do I not hear it."

Also, I wouldn't give up on that "true stacking" idea. 

@immatthewj 

we often have such high expectations but we do not want to let ourselves be suckered in to confirmation bias 

Well said. I think we have the ability to hear music in ways a normal person can't and once we do hear something extraordinary, it's hard to lower our expectations. I wish I could listen to a lot of speakers and make a 100 times more educated choice, but I am not complaining. 

I hope the Revels will work out for you. Sometimes we have to listen like it's the first time.