Speaker Suggestions for Next Move

I'm considering moving on from my Klipsch Cornwall IVs.  I'm looking for suggestions on new loudspeakers in the $8-$15k range. Used is fine too.

Here's what you need to know (or what I think you should know):

• Modifications:  I upgraded the crossovers and binding posts similar to the modifications made by Don Sachs (VCap ODAMs, Rike resistors, better wire/posts, and some internal damping).  I have them sitting on acoustically near inert 1.5" studio subwoofer platforms.  I feel I've juiced just about all I can out of them. 
  • Reasons for Changing.  They do not sound harsh or bright. I'm not thinking of moving on because of that. I'd like to get a bit more depth to the soundstage and more finesse in the overall presentation. 
  • Things I Have to Keep. 
  1. I need to have sizable scale in the presentation.  I have a good group of audiophile buddies and a friend who is a dealer.  I've heard so many high end offerings that don't really scale that well to me. I really like how you feel like you listened to live music or a studio--not a laboratory.  Sound doesn't shoot at you with laser focus, but rather it blooms, bathes and surrounds you. 
  2. Amp Friendly.  I have found the CWIVs to be very friendly with both SS and tube topologies.  Surprisingly, they can sound amazing with great quality SS. I have both types of pre/power amps to service speakers, but I'm not looking for speakers in this price range that need gobs and gobs of wattage.  I'd be happy to commit more so to SS if needed, but I'd like to stay way from very difficult loads.
  3. Placement.  I have a dedicated space and have leeway on placement. That said, I don't want to wrestle with a fickle speaker either. 

Side Note/Stuff I Don't Really Want to Discuss Here.  You can note this stuff all you want and chat with others about it in the thread (won't bother me at all), but I'm not going to engage on (a) Klipsch Heritage is garbage and awful sounding; Trust me though, I do see how Klipsch builds to a pricepoint and could easily better its offerings with better parts, bracing/dampening, etc.;  (b) modifications are dumb, wasteful, hurt resale, etc. I could care less about any of that. I'd prefer not to modify stuff--fyi;  (c) detailed discussions about amplification and sources. I have and have access to various topologies, manufacturers/brands, etc.  

Room:  A bit large for me, historically.  15.5' wide, 23' long, with 10' ceiling. Speakers will be placed along the short wall. 

Music Format:  Vinyl 50%, Digital 40%, CD 10%.

Genres: Pretty much you name it.  Jazz ~30%, Rock/Pop ~30%, Blues/Folk 30%; Classical ~10%. 

I'm curious to trying Fyne, Spatial Audio, Spendor (classic line in particular), Tannoy, Volti, Harbeth, PSB's flagship, Wharfedale's flagship, ATC, Vandersteen, Devore. Open to others. 

Thank you in advance!

128x128jbhiller

OP: "I want to replace my Klipsch Cornwalls with new speakers"

Responder: "No you don't. I don't use them, but Klipsch Cornwalls can be made great by switching all your other equipment."

Why is it so hard to treat the OP as a rational person that knows what he wants?

Try the Yamaha NS5000 which I have in my Livingroom with a CODA #16 and Schitt Yggi+ OG DAC. I think the drivers on it are unsurpassed by ANY cone driver speaker. The drivers are made of a material called Zylon and it is very similar to Beryllium but not harsh sounding. The 12-inch woofer is made of the same material as the tiny tweeter (and the mid). No one does that and the coherence is amazing because of this. Try finding a 12-inch woofer made from Beryllium.

This speaker is the successor to the Yamaha NS1000 which was the first speaker (in the 1970’s) to use Beryllium on the tweeter and the mid. Yamaha has moved beyond Beryllium.

I compared this to a few Magicos | Parasound Persona (tweeter and mid made from Beryllium) | Revel | Vandersteen | Clarysis .(sp?) | Magnepan.

The NS5000 price is from $10k to $15k. I paid $12k for a new one. I also threw out the shipping boxes.

I recently lost my home office space and sold my Magnepan LRS+ office system. The best part of that is that I now blast the NS5000 from my Livingroom while I work on the open second floor space. Incredible sound even in this setup.

They are called bookshelf speakers but that must be a joke. You need a large room. Luckily, I have very tall ceilings (over 20 feet) to offset a medium sized room.

If you like the immediacy that a horn provides, but want more realism, I'd suggest going with a Tekton Design model.  The Moab with the new ceramic drivers and beryllium center is most likely astonishing value.  My friend just ordered them and they should get there next week.  The designer, Eric Alexander recommended those over the Encore model that someone here recommended.  I have the double impacts and the impact monitors and run them with rhythmik subwoofers as they are in large listening spaces.  I'd give tekton a call and talk to Eric the owner about your preferences.  They have so many models and options that it can be a little daunting.  But I'd say moabs with ceramics or their new Ulfbehrt 15 would probably crush the competition. 

Best of luck to you in your search!  I suggest sticking with your speaker swap for all it's worth.  As nice as the Cornwalls sound (i've heard almost all the klipsch designs) I think the tektons are just way more realistic sounding from top to bottom.  Check out the stereotimes, and stereophile articles on their models that have been reviewed!

Sorry but the Revels, Magico, and Wilson’s are in a much higher league than Klipsch, and especially any magnepan speakers.

If you want the more current technology at a $10k savings, look at the Revel f328be speaker instead of the Salon 2s. If you don’t need that much bass or have a smaller room, the revel f228be or f226be might be an option. I had a friend that had the larger 20.7’s with many rel subs and eventually went to a nicer box speaker.