Sophia II's and Pass Labs etc

HI!

I will buy a new amp set up for my Wilson Audio Sophia II's after the summer. I currently use a Burmester 051 integrated amp and a Burmester 061 cd player + a TW Acustic Raven w/Graham Phantom II arm will be ordered soon

I like the Burmester 011 preamp and Burmester 911 mk3 amp very much, although I have not tested the amp set on my speakers. The price for the set in Norway is NOK 276,000,-

The other options I am looking at are:

- Pass Labs XP20 and XA 100,5 / XA 160.5 mono amps, approx. NOK 210,000 / NOK 255,000

- Audio Research REF 3 preamp and REF 110 amp, approx. NOK 220,000,-

- Simaudio Moon P8 and Simaudio Moon W8, approx. NOK 245,000,-.

- Spectral DMC-30SS and Spectral DMA 360, approx. NOK 230,000,-.

And then you have Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson, Luxman, Accuphase, MBL, etc etc.

Do you have any preferences of the amps mentioned. Do you know if Pass Labs XA 100.5 will be strong enough for the Sophia 2's?

I listen foremost to pop/rock/hip hop/electro/jazz/metal/etc, since I am a talent buyer within the festival circuit in Norway.

Thanks for your help.

Cheeers, ToffenG, Norway
toffeng
I have heard a friends Sophia 2 with Mcintosh and Ayre. The Ayre system he uses now is very good. K-1XE preamp and V-1XE amp. I would look into the even higher end Ayre products also.
Hi!

Unfortunately I do not think The Ayre MX-R mono amps and Ayre KX-R preamp are within my budget as they cost NOK 350,000. The Pass Labs combo costs NOK 210,000 and Burmester NOK 275,000.

Cheeers! ToffenG
There is a review of the Pass XA 30.5 in the latest issue of Stereophile, May edition. Brian Damkroger was the writer and he used Wilson Sophia 2's. The article may provide some insight on the Pass Amps and the synergy with your speakers. Also, the XP-20 with the XA 30.5 is a great match in my particular system with Dynaudio. The XP-20 replaces a Conrad Johnson Act 2, Version 1.

Another review is available for the XP-20 and the XA 160.5 in the latest issue of the Sensible Sound if you are a magazine type of person who reads them. Much luck in your search!
I have Sophia 2’s and Pass XA 100.5’s. They are a great match. I was worried that I wouldn’t have enough power and was thinking of the XA 160.5’s but my dealer talked me out of it. He was right to do so. The XA 100.5’s have 200 watts of power at 4ohms – and that’s just in Class A. The amps have a lot more power in A/B. That being said, it took playing rock at close to 100db before the meters on the front of the amps looked liked they were thinking of going over to the dark side. 

I replaced Theta Citadel 1.5’s which were also very good, but Class A power just sounds sweet and effortless.
Madfloyd,
How about posting some pictures of that awsome system of yours? I agree about the power of the XA100.5. I have Eggleston - 87dB, 4ohm min. - and they easily drive the speaker. The meters have never moved. They control my speakers much better than my old XA160s did. They double down in power as impedence is halved and they have more current. Plenty powerful with the sweet sound of Class A.