Sony SACD Player SCD-XA5400ES; YAY or NAY?

Happy New Year All,

Sony SACD Player SCD-XA5400ES; YAY or NAY? (around $1,000. usd used)

6 dacs, 3 left/3 right

sends SACD’s DSD out RCA jacks without conversion to PCM.

Upscales CD’s 8x to SACD #s, then out RCA

spinner traverses over fixed dual laser: one cd, one sacd

2010 model: typically 10-12 years old, I see laser assemblies for sale, indicates

a. people want to keep em going.

b. laser problematic

thanks for advice as always,

Elliott

elliottbnewcombjr

update:

I just ordered this 4 CD set

before this player, no way would I buy CD’s unless LP version didn’t exist. Now, preference is based on price, not format.

3 systems: what I did: Main: xa5400ES is my single SACD/CD player.

sony 6 disc carousel put back in for continuous play, i.e. Christmas CD’s; Parties ... It is the most compact, handles 6 discs, even though the Yamaha and Onkyo Integra are preferred sound. Garage/Shop: Onkyo Integra CDC-3.4 II (don’t need SACD there). Bigger than the Yamaha, but prefer smaller remote. Yamaha DVD-C961 I restored: just sold for a decent profit.

Office: CD Player in Computer good enough, very rarely used, primarily to make copies.

I can confirm that the XA5400ES outputs DSD from an SACD. CD playback is NOT DSD but PCM at the standard 44.1 kHz sampling rate. 

How do I know that? I’m using the HDMI output of my XA5400ES, connected to the HDMI 4 input on a Bryston BDA-3. (The BDA-3 has four HDMI inputs. Only input 4 is HDCD 2.2 compliant and I found that it was the port I needed to use.j

The BDA-3 uses LEDs on the faceplate to identify the sample rate of the incoming signal and to identify an incoming DSD signal, if that’s what the source device is sending it.
With CD playback, the 44.1 kHz LED lights but the DSD LED doesn’t. 

IMO, any decent dac in the $1000-$2000 range will far exceed the Sony. I owned both the 5400 and it’s more- expensive predecessor, and found them well-built and non-offensive, but lacking in portraying instrumental textures and realism. Keep the Sony for a transport and SACDs. People seem to be thrilled with the Denefrips Aries, which is under $1000. Or if you want to play around, try a Topping DX3Pro+ from Amazon for $200. I bought one to use as a headphone amp and it is stupidly good. Using it with a $10 Amazon Basics optical cable, BTW. I was never a fan of budget gear, but the Topping is really good.

It's a SALAD, not just a DAC,

it's how many DAC's? Over-Sampling; Re-Clocking; Anti-Jitter physical and software; Filters; Shaping, OEM proprietary tricks, .....

How the bejesus can you say 'ANY MODERN DAC?' 

Right now I'm enjoying the heck out of a DG CD of a Mozart's Requiem I just fished out of my collection. DG, Herbie the K at the controls. A bit hashy when everyone is yelling and screaming, but considering its curriculum vitae, it's sounding mighty good. Performance, of course, is an unmitigated treat.

Keep going back to my Sony fb940r amp- OK not high end but still surprises me with sound and build quality- fed up of supposedly better modern stuff (especially Denon and Pioneer) letting me down

"Not just a CD, a better CD"

I came across a Sony Insert when SACD/DSD was introduced.

Direct Stream Digital (DSD): 1 bit, 2,822,400 samples per second. Dynamic range of CD 96db is extended to 120 db.

"Even the SACD’s 16 bit CD layer can sound better if it’s based on a Direct Stream Digital studio master. The Super Bit Mapping Direct process can be used to downconvert to the 16 bit CD format, which enables you to hear more of the original master."

I really like how analog the Schiit Gungnir Multibit A2 dac sounds using a Sony DVP-NS999ES as a cd transport.

Sound quality is DIRECTLY comparable to a Thorens TD125 MkII with Shure V15 IV/Jico HE; a Sony PS-X75 with various Audio Technica beryllium styli/carts; a Sony TCK-777 cassette deck, and streaming using HD and Ultra HD files from Amazon Unlimited thru an HP audio-centric I7 laptop over Google Fiber. Every one of these is great on there own and can sound as good or better than any of the others in my system depending on the recorded quality of the media / production ect.

I did quite a bit of research on the XA5400ES, XA9000Es, and some of the older ES players as cd transports, and decided to try the DVP999ES/Gungnir combo for the same price as a used XA5400ES. The Schiit dac takes the already excellent Sony DVP to another level. I hear their Yggdrasil dac is a solid upgrade over this one and competes with 5-10k dacs for just 1000 dollars more than the Gungnir (which I have no desire to change right now).

I’ve never heard an XA5400ES before, but I can wholeheartedly recommend trying a Schiit Gungnir or Yggdrasil dac when (if) the upgrade bug bites you.

will3

live anywhere near 07062. I've become friends with some nearby members, we might make a small listening group if gatherings are ever comfortable, now it's 2 at a time mostly here.

I think the upgrade bug has been caged. I'm living vicariously thru  research and helping friends with their upgrades, and I'm selling again. SME 3009 II just sold, Fisher 500c brass knobs polished, last step prior to sale. 

My friend brought his beloved DAC, we tried using the xa5400es for transport into his DAC, the Sony clearly beat it, that DAC went home with it's tail between it's legs. He's researching another DAC now.

Oh, I did just buy something didn't I. A NOS AT14sa cartridge body from here, and a NOS shibata stylus for it from there. 

I'm all the way in Mo.so I couldn'nt make the meetings too easily!

One thing I noticed with my 999Es is the improvement in sound I hear. I wonder if it was ever used much as a CD player or even much at all and if it was ever properly burned in. I've put over 100 hours of CD play thru it to date and am sure I hear improvement thru the DAC.

mountainsong

Are you still enjoying Luxman and Sony ES players?

Happy Listening!

Or you could consider an SACD/CD player with streaming capability such as the Marantz SACD 30N so you can have your cake and eat it too!

Someone recently said CD’s were making a comeback. What a funny thought. Certainly my intention and final result after my search, all my existing and ’new to me’ cd’s have come alive like never before.

My first find about what they are doing:

"Internally, Marantz has a unique way to handle the digital signal. Marantz calls their technology Marantz Musical Mastering (MMM) which replaces a conventional DAC. The MMM circuit converts PCM (CD 44.1 kHz) to DSD 11.2 MHz and uses two system clocks to provide what Marantz calls the most accurate sampling possible, up to 384 kHz."

The Sony xa5400es is upscaling CD PCM by 8x, I don’t fully understand the numbers, but it certainly sounds better to me than the other 8 I tried.

Sony has made one ’filtering’ decision. Marantz evidently has ’optional filtering’.

"The sound of the Marantz is tunable, from the designers’ warm and mellow sound to a drier, more analytical sound."

Someday I’ll get to listen to the Marantz, and let’s hope more competition comes back into the CD/SACD world.

Two sets of Outputs: Fixed and Variable. My first Onkyo DX-7500 had this, simultaneous outputs: you could go straight to your amp(s) with one set; thru your preamp with the other. Marantz may be either/or, or both, not sure.

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/onkyo-dx-7500-430.html

cdd

which unit are you asking about? the Sony xa5400es does hybrids.

you can look up any unit and find the answer. I find lots of info on Crutchfield's site, they maintain info on discontinued models