Solid State preamp Brands

Hi, I was discussing options for a SS Pre. I have on a list CODA, AYRE, Bryston, Classe, Bal Canto, Holo etc.  I am strongly considering the Classe Delta Pre. Some of my audio buddies are saying that the Classe is not very good even to the point of saying it is low fi. REALLY?? I want to have 2 preamps in my system to alternate. The other is a CJ ET5 tube. any advice is appreciated.

jimbones

Two of my favorite preamps were both Hybrid. An older ARC SP-9mk2 and a PS Audio, BHK Signature preamp. I truly enjoy being able to change their sound by rolling a couple of tubes.

All the best in your search.

Don’t forget the tried and true proven Parasound JC 2 

There out there on the market used for a bargain

$2000 range.  They would be $6000 if they were made in the USA

Taiwan assembled and very reliable neutral sounding

love mine 

Good luck 

larryi

3,911 posts

I am a tube gear fan. While I don’t think Ayre gear sounds particularly like tube gear, and their stuff is not tonally warm, I like their sound for some reason.

I bet I know what you mean... it’s the magic that caught my ear and is draining my wallet.

What Ayre gear have you heard and maybe I can share something that may be of interest.

I own / have owned:

• KX-R Twenty preamp
  • MX-R monos (upgrading to Twenty soon)
  • QX-5 Twenty Streaming DAC / Hub (replaced QB-9 Twenty)
  • VX-5 Twenty amp
  • K-5xeMP Preamp (awesome value / best "non-Variable Gain" preamp I’ve heard)
  • AX-7e Integrated Amp (Awesome Secret)
  • QB-9 Twenty DAC (sold)

@jim2 that is one awesome looking build. wow.

@willy-t  yes the JC2 is very well made. I thought the bass was the very best Ive heard, buy the high end not so much...