Simaudio Moon 740P preamp vs. Ayre KX-5 Twenty

Anybody compared this to Ayre KX-5 Twenty? I really like the Ayre, but I can get a Demo Moon 740P for about $5K locally.

Any other solid state preamp that I should really look at ? I don't like tubes preamps, unless something "hybrid" like PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp.

Thanks!
128x128thyname

Showing 4 responses by david_ten

@thyname  Didn't you just receive your new Ayre amp? What's prompting you to consider another after a few days?
Understand. I didn’t realize at the time you were asking about the amps in your thread that you were also considering moving from your QX-5 Twenty DAC (the digital volume control). All the best in your search.
Thanks. Had I known you were also considering a preamp, my recommendation on how to move forward would have been different (in your other thread).

@jackd  makes the point, succinctly... 

I have a friend that all three "Twenty" pieces and he thought the preamp was the best of the three pieces.

In any case, I wish you all the best in the journey and what lies at the end of it.
I would have suggested a system level approach vs a component based one. Thinking holistically of your preamp and amp choice, together as one, even a 'trio' of 'one' inclusive of the DAC vs. approaching it a component at a time. 

It's something I'm tussling with: that is how to approach our hobby vis a vis choices / changes to my system in the future.