Shouldn’t Do This, but…

Hi All,

I just finished moving into my new apartment. The landlord is a little touchy about certain things. For example, he was opposed to my wanting to store boxes in the basement, of all things. Today I spent the day unboxing stereo equipment. Anyhow, I have a Cruz First Maestro receptacle and I want to switch that out with the original  but I don’t have access to the fuse box in the basement. I’ve switched out receptacles with the electric on before but I hate doing it. Any advice or words of encouragement?

Thanks!

goofyfoot

Thanks everyone. Overloading the circuit does sound like a good idea. More ways on how to do that? Yes, the outlets are both black!

Get a hair dryer and toaster oven or vacuum cleaner on the same outlet. You’ll want the right tools. Sandpaper, wire strippers, wire cutters, needle nose pliers and small and medium screwdrivers of both kinds. Square drive electrician’s is ideal, but not strictly necessary.

If your apartment has had the fuses/breakers fiddled with however you may have too high of a breaker/fuse value.  If you don't trip the breakers in 10 seconds give it up.

NEC 240 . 24 (B) says each occupant shall have ready access to all overcurrent devices supplying the occupancy 

@oldelectricalinspctor It has been a long time since I rented but I'm pretty sure I never rented where I didn't know where the electrical breaker box was.  Glad to know this is in the NEC.

@goofyfoot Considering the additional info, and the fact that you should have access to the breaker box, I think you would be wiser to talk to the landlord. And be willing to do this the right way with an electrician and permission. Too many things can go wrong that may impact your tenancy.