Should I cash in?

I have an Oppo UDP205, using it as Roon endpoint and DAC, fed by a very old Mac Mini (no idea what OS, it’s too old to use Roon 2.0 though). I never use physical media any more. 
should I sell the 205 and upgrade the Mini to a more updated version, then get a DAC to replace the Oppo’s DAC? I do currently use the balanced outputs to my pre (currently an Emotiva XMC-2), then to the Pass 250.8, then Aerial 7T’s (so you experts can guide me based on level of current equipment).

My technical knowledge on digital is almost non-existent, my eyes glaze over quickly when discussing bits and clocks and formats. I know SQ is subjective, but I would like the option of Roon on the go, and my current setup won’t allow that, and the sound quality of what I have is satisfying as is. Not looking for a leap forward in that department, but any changes would have to be at least as good. 

I also have a BDP103, so if I did need a transport with the new equipment to load what few discs I have, I would have that.

english210

There will be a day when you wished you could play your disks. Maybe the internet is down, or you have that killer version of DSOTM on SACD that is not available on streaming services, or you have not converted your disks to FLAC.

You can play those remaining disks at REFERENCE level using the following device which outputs DSD or PCM via HDMI. Do not let the low-price fool you.

Amazon.com: GeerFab Audio - D.BOB Digital Breakout Box : Electronics

I have an Oppo BDP-83 that I got used for $200 and I use it as a transport with HDMI out to the D.BOB. The D.BOB sends SPDIF to a DAC. I tested 2 DACs that worked with the D.BOB. The sound is great.

• Benchmark DAC3B
  • Schitt Yggi+ OG and Less Is More

I love the 2 Yggi+ DACs I have. I wrote something about those 2 DACs ().

I am in similar situation and am ready to upgrade. I have digitized all my CD/SACDs to FLAC or DSF files and ready to move from the Oppo UDP-205 to a dedicated DAC. I think I will most likely sell the Oppo, if I move to a new DAC.

Unfortunately I do not see any mainstream companies releasing DACs based on the new AKM chips. Sick and tired of seeing the ESS based DACs - with the knowledge that these chips internally convert DSD to PCM. The only DAC that is on top of the list is the T+A DAC200 or a Marantz SA-10. Both of these have their proprietary DSD implementation.

Somewhere boxed up in a closet is an Oppo 103, so I wouldn’t be transport-less, should it come to it. 
primarily, out of laziness/ease of use, I stream Tidal through Roon, and also the few discs I’ve bothered to save into the Mini. Unless I’m missing something, you’re recommending a good option on the DAC, but what about the Roon core part?

My recommendation would be to:

1. Leave the current mac mini as Roon Core

2. Get a good streamer that’s Roon Ready (Lumin, newest Aurender, Innuous)

3. Get a good DAC (depending on budget research DAC recommendations in the forums)

4. Eventually upgrade the preamp to a Pass XP-12, XP-22 or Audio Research if you want to try tubes

You will have a kick ass system.