Should Amps be plugged into a power conditioner?

Greetings,

After reading about the amplifier hum, it was mentioned that some knowledgeable people say NOT to plug an amp into a power conditioner. Plug it directly into a wall outlet. Thankfully, I do not have a hum issue, but am curious as to what others say about where to plug your amp into. 

Thank you!

jgjg123

About a year and a half ago I purchased a Furman Elite mostly for the surge suppression. Got tired of unplugging every time there was a T storm. According to the manufacturer, the outlets for power amps had zero limiting on power/current draw, so I even gave up my dedicated 20A circuit for my amp and plugged it into the Furman along with everything else. My system is dead quiet and I swear the soundstage expanded, wider and deeper. I can detect nothing but improvement from this thing, and I no longer freak out about the weather....

Hi to all,

I had the same concern about plugging amps into the wall. I decided to write to Andy at Synergistic Research and this was my response.

Almost all power conditioners limit current, which is why you hear recommendations to plug the amps directly into the wall. However, All Synergistic power conditioners are completely non-current limiting. In fact, the cells have slight capacitance, so they can provide more current on demand than the wall itself. So, not only can you plug the amps into the PowerCell 12, you SHOULD. Amps can benefit from conditioned power just as much as any other component when the conditioner can provide enough current.

I have a Shunyata Hydra 6 and my amp is a McIntosh MC 7300.  At one time I contacted Shunyata directly and the head tech person told me to plug the McIntosh directly into the wall.  FWIW.

When I purchased Emotiva’s differential pre-amp (XDA-3) and their power amp (XPA-Dr3, ~ 500w/ch) together with their own power conditioner, their recommendation was to NOT plug the power amp into the conditioner but straight into the wall outlet. 

Dedicated line from panel to amp. Everything else goes into the power conditioner. After experimenting, this arrangement has worked best for me…. Just sayin’