Should Amps be plugged into a power conditioner?

Greetings,

After reading about the amplifier hum, it was mentioned that some knowledgeable people say NOT to plug an amp into a power conditioner. Plug it directly into a wall outlet. Thankfully, I do not have a hum issue, but am curious as to what others say about where to plug your amp into. 

Thank you!

jgjg123

For me better safe than sorry. Panamax had been my best equipment "shepherd" and protector since deep early 90's and never failed even with STRONG surges. Never cared to upgrade that one.

When I was at a local dealer hosting McIntosh, one of their amplifier engineer/designer was there, and said amps should not be plugged into a power conditioner. The Power Supply, properly designed, does not need it and it lowers the draw rate of the amp. The amp should be plugged into the wall. Pre-amps and sources SHOULD be plugged into power conditioner(s) since they pull power more consistently.

If you’re using a power conditioner for your amp, try plugging directly into the wall and see if you notice a difference in SQ. I did.

Going on 25 or 30 years ago, a dealer in Philly sold me on these power conditioners he carried (a brand I've never hear of since).  He was skilled at selling me on stuff, and he swore up and down that ALL my eqipment should be plugged into it and (I paraphrase) it would make the background blacker, soundstage deeper, and just about every other good thing you could do to a sonic presentation.

Anyway, after I bought it I called Cary Audio up to see how they felt about me plugging my amp into it (this was back when they still provided telephone tech support), and the gentleman I spoke to sort of gave me the impression that he was not all that crazy about the idea.  I have used that power conditioner off and on, but I don't plug amps into it.

Depends upon the amp and the conditioner.  Conditioners that allow many amplifiers to function without limiting the headroom are very expensive.

This ^^^^^.

Some amps (mainly higher end amps) go to great lengths to optimize the power supplies in the amps.  Others can definitely benefit from a good conditioner.  It's just not a one size fits all rule of thumb.

I got a chance to buy a used Lightspeed 3200 for $10, so I gave it a try.  Wow....really nice with my old tube amps, but can't say what it'd do with other amps.  YMMV