Ship to USA only?

I'm new to the site and have yet not made any transactions. I've noticed that most sellers on the classifieds are only willing to ship within the US. I live in Toronto, Canada and I'm simply wondering if there are reasons most sellers are not willing to sell across the border. Are there problems with Canadian customs?
clawen
Even on prepaid items, shipping UPS requires that the item be accompanied by several copies of an invoice. Then canada adds PST, GST and brokerage fees. My canadian buyer was really upset after paying an extra $90 (canadian?) to canada on a US$215 deal for a used Japanese unit. Like it was my fault. Then to top it all off, my bank later clipped me with a $3 fee for processing a canadian postal money order payable in US$. It's a shame but you friendly canadians are never going to see another piece of my equipment.
Add the following other reasons: PAYPAL doesn't serve Canada, in other words no good way to verify the transaction. Your legal remedies, if get's to that level, are extremely limited. After almost 30 transactions on the web, my only sour one was a Canadian. Not to say Canadians are untrustworthy, but are would surely like to do something to that guy who stuffed me!
Kleetch - as for PST/GST between private parties on used gear I believe there are exceptions. I purchased a used passive preamp from the US and as the value was in excess of $200 ($US) I had to pay GST (no PST as I live in Alberta)on that amount as well as a $5 handling fee from Canada Post. Possibly had the shipment gone FedEx this may have been negated. Its a hard call to make when considering shipping - FedEx (including their built in brokerage) vs Postal Service with the chance of paying GST/PST. PS Jorge - sorry that you got stiffed - I guess we all take a chance whether or not the item has to cross the border or not.
I have had two successful purchases from Canada but I must say that Canada Post was positively glacial. Getting $C at Post Office not much of a problem. One seller was private, one a dealer. Both were OK