Shelter 501 mk2 v mk3

Hi all

Just wondering if there is any discernible difference between the two? Except for output level the specs seem the same. The compliance is the same in real life as well as on paper? Thinking of picking up a used/nos some time. 

Thank you,

tennisdog200

If output is different and internal resistance is the same, that implies there might be a difference in magnets used or the core construction Then there’s cantilever material and stylus shape; are those conserved between the two? A few years ago I asked myself the same question, but I wanted a mono cartridge and the model 3 did not seem to be available in mono, so my dilemma was solved for me, and I bought a 2 mono version.

Shelter cartridges are rarely discussed here for some reason.

Is the output different? Specs (sourced online) seem to be same on Mk 2 and Mk 3 - 0.4mV @ 12 ohms. This is a typical ratio for Shelter; their top "ultimate line" cartridges are 0.5mV @ 15 ohms which actually indicates a bit more coil is used (the reverse of most cartridge lines as you go up). Shelter also goes "against the grain" by reverting to aluminum cantilevers in their top line. Plus there’s the fact they stick with a plain elliptical on all but their top Harmony cartridge. No micro-ridges in sight.

Very interesting company that definitely doesn’t get much discussion these days. I fear they might be winding down, as the 7000, 9000 and Accord models suddenly disappeared from their website a few years ago, with no replacements. The Accord was only just introduced in 2014. And I actually prefer it to their top Harmony model - sad it was discontinued. It never got any press.

Shelter has a significant presence in Tokyo audio salons, FWIW. Maybe they lack an importer or the importer lacks enthusiasm.

@lewm @mulveling thanks for your answers. Appreciate it. I’ve since discovered it’s the 901 has the slightly higher output. Also the mk3 version has a micro line stylus according to vinyl engine specs

So I’m thinking of going for a 901 now instead but the different versions of stylus’ssss always has me confused. 

Beware of info on VE.  It's often based on hearsay.  In other words, the guys who put it there are about as informed as any of us is, in many cases.

@tennisdog200 

No the Shelters use elliptical and line contact styli.

901mk3 uses line contact

Tennis, maybe when possible the VE data are accurate. But in many cases not, based on my own direct knowledge.