See you all after the elections

Regardless of what political messages are being spread around here it’s unfortunately true that the level of courtesy and how we talk with those we disagree with reaches a fever pitch before elections in the United States.

Too many talking heads in the mass media are modelling too much poor behavior and loathing of "others" and it’s filtering into this place which I like to hang out with for fun and to help others. What should be plain technical discussions are being infused with personal acrimony. If I wanted that for fun I’d work in a call center.

I’m taking a break from the A’gon for a while. I can’t say the toxicity it’s not affecting me either. This place is just not worth the anger and frustration it is causing of late and I certainly don’t want to learn how to behave by modelling that myself. Hopefully when I come back in 2025 Americans will again be relating to other Americans in ways that don’t involve criminalization or demonization and this place will be nicer.  I also really am too old to be having "but he started it" excuses over what should be a fun and meaningful hobby.  Be well all.  See you in a few months.

erik_squires

It's good to take a break, especially when things are getting chaotic. I tend to unplug at times and try to remember what's important in life.

I live about 6 hours from the beautiful Lake Superior...When I need a reset that's where I go.

"It's the end of the world as we know if and I feel fine"

REM

The more technical discussions tend to happen in AVS, DIY forums, etc (which you are also on probably)...The handful of dudes who are perhaps more technical around here are also on those other forums (probably), i.e., don’t think you’re gonna miss much.

The Gon is primarily for scoping out the used market and buying/selling things...and secondarily, a marketing machine on various threads (i.e., the dealers/pied pipers covert club at work)... the latter can provide some entertainment value though ...

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

- Mahatma Gandhi

Take a break if you need it but staying away because of bad behavior doesn't help you or anyone else.  Continue to be helpful and stay on topic. Ignore the pissants and bullies.  Rise above.

I hope you will reconsider. Your posts are very educational for people like me who don’t have the technical knowledge that you possess.

my professional endeavors have often intersected with politics and the level of toxicity is very destructive. A few years ago, I decided to stop watching cable news, which is mostly propaganda for one side or the other and use that time to listen to music. It was a great decision and I have enjoyed spending some time with this forum to learn more about this hobby.

I cannot imagine why anyone would think it’s a good idea to post political blather on an audio forum, regardless of the point of view.  One would hope that those people would realize that they are neither persuading anyone to their point of view or presenting themselves as “smart“ to the people on this forum. Quite the opposite is true.

It’s unlikely, but perhaps there will be a wave of common sense and they will save their political musings for political venues