Schitt Yggdrasil More is Better

I have the latest (2023) Yggdrasil Less is More and I love it on my office system. The office has the Magnepan LRS+ speakers and a slightly warm DAC works nicely.

In my Livingroom, I am looking for a bit less warmth from the DAC (and amp). Has anyone heard the new Yggdrasil More is Better? I was planning on spending a bit of coin on a DAC, but I now realize that I can get better bang for my buck with an amp upgrade instead. I am thinking of the soon to be updated CODA System 150 amp.

I base this conclusion on the quality of the LIM DAC. I think getting better than this DAC is either diminishing returns or just another flavor. So, I am wondering how the LIM compares to the MIB? 

Anyone using the MIB and what gear are you pairing it with? I need to sell some gear to raise the cash for a DAC, so before I sell anything and do a 14-day home trial, I wanted to see what people are using the MIB with and the level of happiness. 

yyzsantabarbara

I don't have any experience with Schitt Yaggie Dacs but I have upgraded Dacs many times. Each upgrades costed almost double from a previous device but  obvious performance improvements. But just with anything, I think you will hit diminishing return but not until $20k Imo. Amp upgrade can't be overlooked either. 

I never got the Yggy, but did own the Gungnir a few years ago.

It was a very good DAC, close to my Ayre Codex.

Schiit makes some good gear at great prices.

However,  I made a leap of faith and bought a Brinkmann Nyquist 2. It was more than I would normally spend, but, another audiophile who I respect bought one and sang it's praises. Since we both share similar experiences with equipment, I bought it. And, I have to say it is all that it is said to be.

There are other manufacturers out there, like MSB, and in a similar price range. So, I will say that if you are serious about digital sound reproduction, please give them a listen. It seems that you really have to spend around $10K to get to this level, but if you are patient, I bet it will be coming down in the future as digital is in it's infancy.

Bob

Bob

I get the more money gets you a better DAC point of view. However, I should preface that statement by saying the DAC I had before the LIM cost $15k and I think the $2.2k LIM sounds better. Both were slightly warm, so I think an apples-to-apples comparison. The LIM had a better top end and more detail.

I actually own the PlayBack Designs proprietary fibre streamer. The plan was to buy the PBD Dream DAC ($24k), designed by Andreas Koch, to use with the PBD Stream-IF.  I now feel that money is better spent on an amp, and I have the PBD Stream-IF up for sale.

As I stated earlier, the LIM is so good on my slightly bright speaker. I did some research on Schitt and the people that design their DACs. Mike Moffet has got a very strong reputation when it comes to digital, similar to Andreas Koch.

That is why I want to hear feedback about the Schitt MIB DAC. If it can sound great like the LIM but this time on a slightly warm speaker, then I will use that $24k on the CODA amp instead. Not saying the LIM or MIB is better than the PBD Dream DAC. I just feel the amps bring more to the table given a very competent DAC, at least with my gear.

Schitt MIB is isn’t a huge step away from the LiM sound, but it is slightly less dark, more detail, more open and airy on the top - you would consider it an upgrade, but perhaps not ‘night and day’. Consider it an evolution and slight step up of what you already have. Cheap upgrade though if you can buy and fit the board to your existing DAC.