Schiit Freya+(Plus)

Freya+ users:

For me, sending DAC input through tube output clearly adds warmth, bloom, punch, musicality, presence.
However, when used with analog inputs (TT, FM, cassette), the tubes (current stock JJ 6SN7 supplied with the unit) sound too lush, rather over the top, sometimes frankly bloated. I mean at equal volume (not volume SETTING).

Despite balanced output to power amp, the SS buffer stage sounds inferior to pure passive mode. So it's tubes with
DAC, passive with analog, SS buffer with nothing.

Questions: (1) does my experience sound typical?
(2) should I experiment with rolling Tung-Sols or other recommended upgrade tube?
(3) does any of this bespeak some peculiarity elsewhere in the chain?

Advance thanks for diagnoses/suggestions.

hickamore

You can email Schiit directly on their website contact link. I had a bad tube and was told to reverse the two tube pairs. I did so, and the fault was corrected. A bad tube on one side may not sound bad on the other side.

Of course, since then I have rolled in other tubes and not had a repeat, but it is surely only a matter of time before this recurs. When it does, I will start by reversing the tube pair to see if the problem clears up.

Post removed 

Any of you hear a buzzing sound coming out of the speakers when the music if not playing. Turn down the music all the way down or mute the music and put your ear closer to the tweeter, can you hear a buzzing sound?

Does that mean I have bad tubes? Or do I need to buy some XLR cables to make the buzzing sound go away?

I hear no buzzing; I use the Freya+ with a headphone-based system so if I had some buzzing, I would hear it on the phones.

I woke up around 3AM last night and heard some clicking sounds that seemed to originate from the Freya+. It had been turned off about 2 hours prior. That seemed odd. I just woke up and played some music on the headphones until 6AM. I will keep an ear open for this mysterious clicking sound.

I have owned the Saga+, Freya+ and (currently) the Prima Luna Dialog Premium. The Schiit pre-amps were fantastic and served my needs for a couple of years. During that time I woudn’t have heard a difference in an A/B comparison between Schiit or PL or anything else because I hadn’t spent enough time on focused listening. When I started hearing more detail I upgraded everything piece by piece until the Freya+ was finally the weak point. Tube rolling helped a little but not enough for me. The build quality of the PL is superb so I took a chance and I couldn’t be happier. How is it better? In every way you can imagine. But that is just in my system (which you can look up in Agon virtual systems), YMMV.

I’m a die-hard Schiit fan :) I bought almost everything in the entire catalog at first and I will never part with my Yggdrasil(A2+Unison), Vali2, or Modi Multibit. The rest has been superseded and sold off to inspire others.