Salk Future TBD

Jim put up this post over on AC earlier today…

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186217.msg1952279;topicseen#new

snapsc

@snapsc wow, that's a big deal! CSS is a pretty amazing company and I see the challenges of running (merging?) two very different brands. I guess it's really not that simple. Very different philosophies.

Just an observation -- I've been in commercial insurance for over 4 decades and had many clients move on or close their business -- sometimes retirement, sometimes burnout, sometimes money issues, and so on.  There isn't always a buyer. One thing I've seen with boutique shops is that their love of their craft often means that they make far less from their business than outside investors are willing to accept -- "I've got $100K (or a $1 mil or $10 mil...) to put into a business, so what's my return, and how hard will I have to work for it?"

Not too hard to see that without the passion the original owner had, a hard look at just the numbers may not make sense to outsiders.

Bummer and a big loss to the community. I had the honor of the being the caretaker for a week of the Chen Chen veneered Song3 Beats @jeffseight  secured for the AZ SpeakerFest. They were lovely speakers; almost bought a pair myself. I hope Salk is able to find another to take up the torch.

@roxy54 , we had another SpeakerFest last summer focused on stand mounts. It was even bigger than the one you attended. They are a ton of work and tough to organize yearly.

I have never owned any Salk speakers but from what I have gathered from reading and looking at his speakers I have admired the craftsmanship and Jim seems very professional and likable. This brand and Volti audio were on my bucket list for speakers I would like to own but just out of my price range. I wish Jim well and feel like he will be missed. Who knows, maybe I will pick up a used pair somewhere down the line...

Their should’ve been a succession plan in place. Think of Thiel, which was also a total fail in this regard. All owners of Salk speakers should now be worried about how they’ll get their speakers fixed should anything go wrong. That’s not a comfortable place to be.