Rouge Audio RP-7

Hello everyone. 

I dont see much talk about Rouge Audio products on here. Anyone have experience with their pre amps? I don't have much experience with hybrid pre amps. Was looking for a match with the Coda no.8 amplifier that I have coming in a month :)

tmac1700

I've owned two Rogue pre amps.Never any issues. I have an rp100 at present and have no desire to replace it ever.The remote is cheesy for sure:-)The performance is excellent though.

If you have a coda no 8 on the way just get the CODA 07x FET Pre-Amp.  It is an insanely good pre-amp.

I bought a Rogue RP-7, summer of 2020, to replace a Canary Audio C630 tube preamp. Reason being I had purchased a Decware Torii Junior, and whereas I very much enjoyed the liquid sound, just couldn’t push output beyond 90dB at listening distance, with 92dB Focal Aria 936 speakers, using a Canary Audio C630.

Canary Audio, 9dB max gain, output impedence 1,600 ohms, Rogue Audio 14dB max gain, output impedence 500 ohms. I thought the RP-7 would blow the C630 out of the water. But even turning volume up to 80-90%, I could barely hear the music, 50-60dB. What? I am still perplexed by this result, and ended up returning the RP-7, at a 20% restocking fee (thanks HiFi Heaven!), and selling the Decware unit, buying a PrimaLuna. Very happy with the sound of the Canary preamp, just needed more watts in the power amp. Any comments on the results based on specs for these preamps? I obviously am not an electrical engineer.

@jaudio1 yeah. I'm upgrading my whole system... I started about 7 months ago but Because of supply chain issues and me being stubborn with what i wanted...everything is just now starting to come together at once. 6500 is more i can spend when theres already appx 12-13000 being spent in a short period of time. I did get an offer for a 07x...but its the 2015/2016 version and the dealer was asking 3k. If it was 2019/2020 I'd jump on it...I just haven't heard of any comparisons of the before and after Coda upgrad in 2019. I went down a quick rabbit hole of audio research and found a ref 5e for appx 6500(probably negotiate it down) and ls28 for 4800(also negotiable). 

I bought a RP 7 new in 2019 and loved it. I concur with the positive comments written above. I rolled the tubes which is super in-expensive as you can roll two of the four and get 80% of the change with just two of the four tubes. This allows you to buy two pairs of NOS tubes and put the sound you prefer in the front position and relegate the second choice to the back, in the mix but not dominate. 

The RP 7 is VERY quiet and was a great mix of SS and tube sound. It's a great way to move into the tube component world. I sold the RP 7 and bought a used ARC REF 10 dual box monster. The REF 10 is a very impressive unit, but it seems they worked to make it less tube sounding and they accomplished that. It sounded almost SS. I currently run a Modwright LS 300 line stage which I like very much. I would summarize that the RP7 has nothing to be ashamed about being compared to these more expensive preamps. The RP 7 is reliable, musical, and QUIET. They have an even rich tone, bottom to top. They are resolving, but the more expensive preamps edge it out in the area of resolution. I believe that's where the RP9 comes into play. I doubt few of us would not like the RP 7 if it was dropped into our system.