Rouge Audio RP-7

Hello everyone. 

I dont see much talk about Rouge Audio products on here. Anyone have experience with their pre amps? I don't have much experience with hybrid pre amps. Was looking for a match with the Coda no.8 amplifier that I have coming in a month :)

tmac1700

Showing 7 responses by tmac1700

So they acknowledged that the noise/hiss wasn't normal and fixed it? How long have you had it before things started going wrong? Yeah...I had an assumption it'd sound more ss. Seems like hybrids are a little gimmicky...where there's this implication that you will be getting the best of both worlds.  

Ha. I realized I misspelled it soon after I posted. It's there forever now :)

I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences with the Rogue preamps. I didn't realize they all have a phono stage. Was hoping they had a pre without one. I enjoy what my present seperate phono pre can do.  Would the RH 5 be a good way to go if I wanted to get my foot in the door? Example, if I didn't enjoy it...the rp7 or rp9 prob wouldn't improve my impressions 2 much? Or are they not even comparable on any level?

@ghdprentice thank you for your candor & recommendation

Audio Research is no joke. May have a hard time finding one in the same price range as rp7...

@jaudio1 yeah. I'm upgrading my whole system... I started about 7 months ago but Because of supply chain issues and me being stubborn with what i wanted...everything is just now starting to come together at once. 6500 is more i can spend when theres already appx 12-13000 being spent in a short period of time. I did get an offer for a 07x...but its the 2015/2016 version and the dealer was asking 3k. If it was 2019/2020 I'd jump on it...I just haven't heard of any comparisons of the before and after Coda upgrad in 2019. I went down a quick rabbit hole of audio research and found a ref 5e for appx 6500(probably negotiate it down) and ls28 for 4800(also negotiable). 

@upnorthsound glad you brought up your experience. I've been trying to wrap my head around everything you brought up for almost a week. I feel like this stuff is like learning to ride a bike or learning to play euchre. One day it will all click. 

The RH-5 and RP-5 seem like great value. I think I looked over the RH-5 because I don’t use headphones. I actually may have lucked out. There may be a dealer within 30 miles of me that sell both Rogue and Audio Research. Going to call on Tuesday. @dekay I meant Rogue. I think rouge popped up becaue I live close to a river named Rouge and my phone trys to guess what I’m saying. I tried to edit it but the forum wouldn’t let me. :)

I just assumed the sound signature of the rp5 and rp7 would be extremely similar just your paying for balanced connections.  

I wish there was a audio business that lent audio gear the same way home depot rents tools.