Roon - streaming only...where'd you get your NAS?

I'm considering Roon but I only stream Tidal and don't have a single song downloaded.  

So, first, would Roon pretty much be a waste? 

Second, how does everyone acquire such a large downloaded collection of high-res, DSD, FLAC, or whatever files in their NAS library?

Did you rip your CD's?  Get from a friend?  Download them online and pay by song?  Seems like a monumental task and money pit.
dtximages
Roon is a great add on to Tidal, if you like how they organize your music which is quite good. Also IMO the main reason to have Roon is the discovery feature that shows similar music to what your listening. great way to find new music. DARCO did a very good review of Roon its on youtube. 

Most people copy their CD's to their NAS. Or DL'd music

It takes forever to Copy your CD's so yes. Not really a money pit once its done you make a back up and your good. just the cost of the NAS and Streamer-computer 

If you don't already have the Digital music you don't need a NAS,  Unless you need to listen with out an internet connection (so your going to DL your music from the internet).

I'd just get a streamer  with Tidal - Roon ready and be done. 

I was going to go  NAS but in the end Tidal seems to have everything I wanted anyway so IMO no reason to spend the time copying just stream. 

Another thing with Roon is they tell more about the band / musician so you get a bit more background info.
So where did everyone get their NAS?  Like can I pay someone $100 for theirs?  Did yall pay $1 per song?  Did you sit there and rip every one of your CDs?
I acquired my 2 TB library from (1) hundreds of CD's I have purchased over 20 years. (2) traded with friends. I have meet several fellow audiophiles on Agon who also have large libraries. We purchased an external HD, copy our files to it, then send it to a friend who then copies it to their library. Then the friend deletes the HD and copies their files and sends it back. I have done this several times. (3) I have (as have my friends) purchased dozens of Hi Def files from HD Tracks or other sites and share or add to the library also.

As far as Roon goes, I use and love it. It organizes (into categories and sub categories) your entire library and also it integrates a streaming service (like Qobuz or Tidal) which I use, into your stored files. It gives background info on albums and artists etc. and makes suggestions on music you may like based on your listening history. I think Roon works best if you have a stored library and also use a streaming service. The way it integrates the two, categorizes and supplies info is what makes it so useful.

Also I don't use a NAS. I have a Innuos Zenith music server with 4 TB's of storage. Innuos makes it easy to rip your CD's and store them in your library. It's automatic with Innuos....Insert you CD, wait 4 minutes and it's done. It copies, attaches artwork to the file and stores it in your library. I had an Aurender music server for several years and their method for ripping and storing your CD's into your library was WAY more work (not automatic).

Having a large library doesn't have to be a money pit. You just have to meet people who are willing to share. That's also the fun part!