Rigid outlets for Heavy cables

Many fans of high end power cables end up with very heavy cables plugged into very tight outlets in less than new outlet boxes. Whatever your choices in outlets and cables are you may find that you already have loose or recessed outlet problem, or are worried about the tabs on the outlet and drywall not lasting for many insertion cycles.

If you’ve ever replaced an old outlet with a fresh hospital grade outlet and felt it get mushy or make crackling sounds (from the drywall breaking) when you tried to insert your fresh cable you know what I’m talking about, or if you have some outlets which are proud of the face and some which are recessed this post is for you.

Hubbell makes a wall plate called Flush-Fit ($8 for 3)which is available from Amazon or Lowe’s (probably others).

I also use these little plastic screw spacers in some situations, where the metal plates won’t fit or for plain old light switches and outlets where I’m not expecting heavy duty use or where I have multiple outlets / switches in a single box. They are surprisingly effective and available at almost any hardware store.

I’ve used both while re-doing all the outlets and switches in and out of my home. I can recommend them from personal experience. Also, they make your outlets and switches look fresh because of the clean flush-fit result.

erik_squires

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the Tweek.

I began replacing my old outlets with new 'hospital grade' outlets last year. 

These plates look like a simple fix for recessed outlets, and the larger force-distribution effect is real bonus (fewer dry wall issues).  My order arrives tomorrow.

Bill

BTW, if your box is too recessed from the drywall you may need an "outlet box extender" instead.  If your outlet screws are too short this is probably the way to go. 

Cablesupportplate by John Bring. Not sure if they are still around. Shunyata may make something similar. Much of the outlet strain is relieved. 

Post removed