ribbons vs domes and sibilance

I came upon a thread from the DiyAudio site titled "Can you have sparkling treble but without sibilance?" from 2011. The discussion is very technical and as such, completely over my head but one participant asserted that ribbons are far less prone to sibilance than domes. 

Here's an excerpt for the technically minded: :

... the middle of the dome basically flops about doing it's own thing at high frequencies as it's only very loosely coupled to the edge because of it's own less than infinite stiffness. Thus any distortion or resonances that occur due to the middle of the dome bending and moving in non-piston ways are not reflected back to the amplifier via back EMF... when the ribbon is only 8mm wide compared to a 25mm dome, there is far less narrowing of dispersion with increasing frequency than a dome. The directivity control is achieved with a wave-guide instead. This is why a wave-guide loaded ribbon can achieve an almost constant 90 degree horizontal dispersion from 2Khz right up to 20Khz - the ribbon element itself is far less directional horizontally at high frequencies than a dome, with the wave-guide then adding in a constant directivity control.

I'm wondering whether any forum members have compared speakers with domes and ribbons in regard to sibilance and arrived at any conclusions. 

stuartk

I have heard silk domes, aluminum domes, beryllium domes tgat had sibilance and also others that had no sibilance. It is based on how good the speaker designer is.

That said for me Magico, YG Acoustics, B&W D4 range all have sibilance that annoys my ears and gives me headaches. It is the way they are designed as they all seem to accentuate treble more than others.

Playing with positioning hasn’t helped in my case, although I’m constrained due to system being located in living room. For example, I can pull speakers no further out than 3.5 feet (from front baffle). I’ve played with toe-in extensively and noticed changes in soundstage but not sibi

@arnold_h

Unfortunately, I cannot treat room. Sibilance has only recently become an issue for me, however. With previous systems, I never heard it.

Stored away somewhere in your house, might you have a dac that came with a PEQ feature, like an RME dac or other? Or can the audio nerd who lives down the street loan you his RME? If so, put a wide Q dip (a small amount) between ~4kish and ~8kish hz and see if that helps.

@botrytis

I have heard silk domes, aluminum domes, beryllium domes that had sibilance and also others that had no sibilance. It is based on how good the speaker designer is.

For this reason,when I can afford to upgrade speakers, I will only buy what can be demo’d in my room and returned, if necessary. I posed my initial question out of curiosity, to see whether there was any consensus about tweeter design/materials to use as a guide when compiling a list of  speakers to consider.  

@deep_333

Thanks for your suggestion. Regrettably, I don’t know anyone who used gear with such a feature.

I don't think you should rule any particular type of tweeter in or out, but your room has a lot to do with the tonal balance. An overly reflective room will sound brighter and accentuate sibilance issues. A well behaved room will make any number of speakers sound good.

It all depends on the implementation. There are excellent and garbage examples of both. Generally, the pricier tweeters perform better IME.